Aztec Star Wars dial

Because I don’t run the spindle or dust collection with the drag bit I set it to carve then went to bed. Aspire predicted 6 hours. It was probably closer to 5. Most the other signs this size have taken 2.5. This one has a lot of detail. I pushed my x carve kinda hard on this one, 150 imp for up to 6 hours run time.

Do you happen to have a direct link to the bit?

Wonder if x carve could do this …

Yes it can!

Here you go kasey.

2 Likes

I know this question usually starts a debate but i am wondering if selling a few carvings of this design would violate any copyrights or anything??

most likely, their is also some question if image I used to create the vectors is possible copyright it’s self as its not created by Disney, the artist that created the image isn’t happy the vectors are out there

would you like to share a copy of it that i can carve one for me?
kindly tell me the bit and depth/set-up on easel.
i appreciate it. thank you.

The creator has an website he sells a bunch of items with that design…I saw that site a few months back when I was looking for the aztec one…

1 Like

what is the good substitute for this diamond drag bit? is this the setting you used for the entire acrylic engraving?
can i use my vcrave pro for this project?

I have also used this dremel ball nose engraving cutter. The sign turned out ok. The edges of the carved area is not as clean. I don’t think this tool would work on such a detailed sign as the Aztec. I carved it extremely shallow, .003 I think, with low RPM on the spindle. The work surface needs to be very level. The diamond drag bit is way way better.

I used two tool paths, the quick engrave for the entire area with graphics and a profile tool path to cut the edges.

I have never used v carve pro. I don’t know anything about what it can or can not do.

I am in the process of creating a drag bit. Will have more to show when I get it going. right now I just have a bit.

Here is how mine turned out!

9 Likes

Looks good. Nice job

1 Like

did he say, mineral spirit to clean off the top part or something else?

He said to use Denatured alcohol. I tried mineral spirits and it eat through the spray paint… So I was stuck leaving it darker than I wanted to. Going to buy some denatured alcohol for the next one and see how that goes.

are these how it’s been done?

1- apply shellac let it dry overnight or longer
2- spray paint it with metallic copper or silver
dry time = 4days
3- brush on acrylic black paint then wipe off top with
dry cloth then paper towel on a sanding block.
continue wiping off after each painting to keep
top clean from black paint.
4- use denatured alcohol damp it on paper towel to
wipe off the top.

This is how I did mine.

1. Applied sanding sealer to entire surface
  2. Waited a few hours for sanding sealer to dry, then spray painted with metallic copper.
  3. The next day I brushed on black acrylic in sections, wiping off with damp rags.
  4. Once the entire thing was covered and wiped I let it dry for about an hour, then buffed it.
  5. I did not use the denatured alcohol. Just rubbed at it with a cotton cloth

Mine is 14" diameter. It took just under 2 hours to cut.

7 Likes

I have since ordered some tubes of Rub N Buff in Spanish copper, ebony and pewter colors. So I may cut another one and try that finish method.

I did similar except for step 3 I used a damp cloth and then a dry one and then paper towel wraped around a sanding block

1 Like