Aztec Star Wars dial

You need to import g-code as was suggested to use V-carving this.
Otherwise you will not get the varied depth cut.

1 Like

or use proper software for the job

Do you need to own Vcarve to import this gcode to easel? Or is it possible for someone on here to share the gcode that can then be imported to easel? Iā€™m sorta new and asking because I donā€™t know.

I and others have V-Carve and we can create a g-code compatible file.
You just need to give us the dimensions you need it in.

1 Like

In my opinion you got to pay to play. If you want to Vcarve, buy vcarve desktop, it isnā€™t that expensive and you can make your money back 100 times if you use.

And Iā€™m with Bob, Iā€™ve always used easel as a sender and have never had an issue.

Well as a CAM app Easel is pretty basic. No secret there.
As a gcode sender it is just one of several available options, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, but nevertheless most are very similar.

But since you asked: pro tip: Vcarve & mach3.

i was thinking the same thing.

1 Like

Unless its simple stuff like your UGS return to zeroā€¦

Not at all
I was just pointing out that the simple is ok.
No offense was intended.

3 Likes

Thanks for the offer Stephen, I definitely understand that it may not work properly with my setup so it may be better to just get my own Vcarve. I just canā€™t afford it at the moment so I will wait. Thanks for your input Kasey. Before investing in the software I wanted to tinker with something like this to see if it would be something I would want to continue making.

Thanks I will check it out. What are the main differences between Vcarve and F Engrave?

Thanks Phil, I looked at some videos on F-Engrave and it seems like a viable option to try. Plus itā€™s free. I will also download the free trial of VCarve and compare.

1 Like

I agree. I upgraded to the Pro version and its been one of my best investments.

Has anyone here ever tried Carbide Create? Thatā€™s another free standalone program. Itā€™s similar to Easel, being ā€œ2 1/2Dā€, but also does V-Carving.

Ok finally got around to painting mine, the carve came out excellent, no tearout on the fine detail 23" diameter 3/4" thick just under 5 hours to carve with a .5" 60 degree v-bit. Painted as described in this thread , took way too long to paint.

14 Likes

Looks great!!

2 Likes

Phil, Iā€™ve only just started looking at f engrave. Will it open an svg file? I donā€™t see that as an option, but maybe Iā€™m just missing it. It seems curious that wouldnā€™t, since it creates and exports svg files after tracing bitmaps and other file types. Iā€™m probably just missing something. It would be great to import one of posted svg files in this threat and generate the gcode to send to easel

Iā€™ll look into that for sure. Thanks Phil. Maybe you know the answer to this as well. In this thread I see the recommended cutting depth for the aztec calendar of 5mm. The on posted on the Inventables project sight says .05mm, quite a difference. I know so little about Vcarving that Iā€™m not sure which would be correct. I donā€™t want to assume something and do something ridiculous at the outset.

I see. Iā€™ll certainly look for the flat depth box in f engrave. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen it, but I get the importance. Thank you for the heads up!

Tomorrow Iā€™m gonna take the ammo youā€™ve given me and butcher some MDF. Thanks, phil

1 Like