Belt broke

With the fiber strings, I thought that was your pulled taffy reference.

Cool on the pic - that would certainly help me understand. Guess I’d feel better about it if it were a bad belt as opposed to something I had, and could have again, installed incorrectly.

I didn’t watch the video but from the preview, your Y axis is with the grain of the board while your X axis is across it. Generally, cutting across the grain will be more difficult. But, as you pointed out, it was only probably 40% of your cutter diameter (Easel is a default 40% stepover).

That being said, cutting pine at 80 ipm is not that aggressive of a cut. Pine is a pretty soft wood.

Call or email Inventables if you haven’t and show them the picture. It doesn’t look like anything you did. The belt edges aren’t really frayed (which should show if you have excessive pulley rubbing) and it’s too clean of a break to be overstretched.

2 Likes

First, thanks for the thoughts. I feel a little better that it probably wasn’t my fault.

Just looked it up… I was running 100imp but had stepover set at 10%. I was trying for finer cut but speeding it up a bit to make up for the additional carve time. Seems to me, again with my novice understanding, that is kinda of a wash compared to the numbers you suggested (faster speed but less cutting per pass?)

That is exactly the first thing I looked for when I realized the belt was broken - that and stripped teeth. I was quite surprised to see no other evidence of damage.

Thanks Phil

1 Like

One of my belts broke recently as well. No reason either. I just had to go and put on a new one.
They sometimes break due to micro cracks. Could be a result of heat or other things. Not sure why but I will keep spares around just for that occasion.

2 Likes