Best Dust Shoe / Boot Design EVER ! "Suckit"

Just a quick update on my boot… The lack of fit on the top plate was my fault, my Z axis makerslide sits about 1/4" below the X plate so the tight fit was my problem.

I had my Z axis makerslids centered properly, so there was no side to side adjustment, so I just widened the hole for the bit at the same time I was cutting the hole for my Festool vac hose.

All in all, the SuckIt boot rocks, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I also would like to say thanks to Mark and Jenn, they’ve been trying very hard to make sure I am happy with the boot… Their support is right up there with Inventables’ approach to delighting the customer!!

When I build my next XCarve ill be buying a SuckIt dust boot for it…

4 Likes

Does the dust deputy separate the fine particles too?

@JkWestphal Yeah, I was thinking that would be the best thing but running it outside really isn’t feasible with my current setup. When I build or buy a building I will definitely have a system that runs the dust out into a hopper or bin of some kind. This is how the lumber yard does it.

1 Like

The dust deputy gets quite a bit of the finer particles, probably because they’re trapped by larger ones in the vortex. I have the Festool CT26, so between the deputy and the Hepa filter on the Festool I never really see any dust anymore…

1 Like

Looks like mine is… somewhere. DHL has announced “delivery arranged!” with no actual details or additional tracking information. Sooooo, I have no idea who has it, where it is, or when it’ll show up.

1 Like

Hi Dan,
I just saw your post and checked the tracking and that looks weird! I’m going to call them right now to find out what’s going on. I will send you a personal email with details. Give me a few minutes.
Talk soon, Jenn

Hey, thanks! Really appreciate it, I can’t wait to give this a shot. :smiley:

1 Like

My pleasure! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! Even my Kent boot leaks a little bit, so it’ll be cool to see how this one works out. :slight_smile:

i’m a little worried now. I placed an order last week, I’ve had a Paypal email confirming my payment but nothing from Suck it confirming the order. I’ve sent an email to info@suckitdustboot.com and I’ve had an email back saying it can’t be delivered.

I know theres a long lead time but it would be good to know my order has been confirmed after I’ve paid. Anyone else having trouble contacting them?

I’ve had no trouble at all, Alex. No worries, they’ll get you taken care of, one way or another. They contacted ME after I posted here about the shipping being weird, and have followed up to make sure I got it as planned. They’re good people, no sweat. :slight_smile:

I just started installing mine last night. I did have to move the Z extrusion a little bit, it would appear that if you followed the Inventables instructions on extrusion placement (extrusion sitting right at the end of the T-nuts) you will need to move your extrusion upward about 1/16th of an inch. This is doable with all pieces mounted, and does not require a full tear-down of the Z axis, just some careful screwdriver work. I have chosen to completely remove the Z slide assembly from mine, though. Since I’m breaking the squaring anyway, this seems to be a golden opportunity to swap out the eccentric nuts on both the Z and the X carriage for the eccentric spacers and nylocks, as well as give the whole thing a really good cleaning.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that the variations we’re seeing here might well be on the Inventables end, instead of the Suckit design. There’s no particular reason that the length of that Z extrusion would have to be held to a tolerance tighter than .125" or so, and tighter tolerances mean higher prices for no benefit in performance at all, the function of the X-carve wouldn’t be improved in any way if it was held to a tight tolerance. So what we might be seeing here, at least partially, is just the tolerance range for the hole placements and Z extrusion lengths stacking up.

So far I have been very impressed, the quality of the workmanship on the boot is very nice. A couple of small burrs on the extrusion ends where it was cut that weren’t fully removed, but that’s being absurdly picky, and they don’t interfere with function at all. Not even exposed after assembly. I’m looking forward to getting it fully assembled and tested this evening! It’s FAR smaller and lighter than my KentCNC boot, so I have high hopes that it will cause less deflection on the X gantry!

I am most definitely going to have to change my clamping setup, though, there’s NO way the tiny brushes on this will clear the clamps I have now! I knew that going in, though, it just surprised me how much shorter the bristle is than my Kent setup. 'Course, it doesn’t have any reason to be long, given that its whole job is to just sit there and conform to the surface… So far, I’m really impressed! This is well-made hardware, and looks extremely functional.

1 Like

Hi Alex,
I’m sorry I haven’t responded. We are still learning how to do immediate confirmation emails on our website shopping cart. With getting all our Kickstarter orders out, we just haven’t been able to sit down and really go through all the functions.
Rest assured, your order was received and is in queue and will ship out in a few weeks.
If you need anything else, you can always contact us by email. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Cheers! :grinning:

3 Likes

@Jennchepurny Do you you have a date set for mailing the rest of the Kickstarter units? (I’m 180-ish on the list :frowning: ).

How are currently clamping? The traditional leverage clamps like Inventables sales? I wonder if the longer bristles SuckIt offers would work.

I am doing production runs between 20 and 60 pieces, with three ops each. I use toggles from the top and end stops, with my G28 home set at the 0,0 of the fixture for quick setup. Works awesome, but needs a good 1.5" worth of bristles. Looks like I really just need to go to a horizontal-push type toggle clamp. A bit twitchier, but I tend to size-saw my blanks to start with anyway.

1 Like

Hi Bob,

I had the same problem with my homegrown dust shoe. I just adjusted limit stop in about 1/8" (you may need more or less) and appropriately adjusted my soft limits.

Todd

Hey Neil,
You are actually #188, so that puts you as a June delivery. The good news is that we are plowing through the kickstarter orders pretty good and it will be early June. I will be sending another Kickstarter update shortly regarding next delivery batches. If you have any other questions, send Mark or myself an email.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I received my Suck-it dust boots a few days ago and my lungs are already singing the praises of this truly awesome piece of kit. Once I sat in a permanent MDF fog but now;
I can see clearly now the Haze has gone,
I can see all the tools upon my shelves,
( Oh crap now I will have that tune running through my head all night…)
Anyway being serious for a minute, the dust boot is truly phenomenal, granted it doesn’t clear 100% of the dust but it gets pretty close to it. Now I can build my 3d printer without worrying about it being covered in dust every time I use the CNC.
Jenn and Mark have not only thought up a brilliant design but the customer service is second to none, just because I didn’t contact them after it arrived they contacted me to make sure everything was alright I don;t know any other company that comes close to their service… Oh wait a minute yes I do the awesome Inventables team…
It really is nice to know there are still a few excellent companies left that care about their customers.
Sorry for rambling on but I just thought it needed saying…
So Thank you Mark and Jenn and thank you Inventables.

3 Likes

Looks good Bob! Sounds like that should work for you.

And DONE! I just finished installing mine here a bit ago, I had to very slightly move my Z axis extrusion (as I previously mentioned), so I used the opportunity of having the carriage more or less torn down anyway to change out the eccentric nuts for spacers and nylocks from OpenBuilds. Wow, what a difference! Adjusting my X and Y for perfect fit literally took less than five minutes! And they are perfect in both tension and security. Worth every penny! I had to get 40mm bolts for the two on the Z slide, and 30mm bolts for the four on the X-carriage to fit, since the new assembly is a lot longer than the old one. Nothing fancy, just the regular hex-head bolts from Home Depot worked just fine for it. You will need a second 8mm wrench to tighten them down. It is SO much more secure, and no more worries at all about the eccentrics working loose! Didn’t even have to pull the X-carriage off, just replaced them one at a time by pulling the eccentric nut and screw, then “rolling” the wheel out the end. Replacement was exactly the same. Be careful not to lose the little spacer washer that goes between the bearing and the carriage.

With that done, installing the Suckit was literally almost an afterthought as everything went back together. Things I learned: They used SAE screws for the four that hold the Suckit on. Be prepared with your SAE wrenches! And also, be very careful when tightening, it takes a lot less pressure to hold than you might expect. I might have caused a minor fracture in one of my brackets by tightening a bit too enthusiastically. Maybe. Hypothetically… Still fits fine, just be careful!

I’m planning the first functional test tomorrow!

2 Likes

Super
Is there a possible chance to get drawings of it

Kristian / Sweden