Best G540 Motion Controller?

It does not using it as a motion controller using the parallel port. It will if using a motion controller like smoothstepper.

1 Like

Gotcha, looked at some stuff discoursed and system requirements cough my attention.

Iā€™m probably going to be custom building a PC for the X-Carve. It all depends on if Apple comes out with a new Mac mini or not in the next month or two. If I build the machine it will be over built (3 Ghz CPU or higher, 16 GB RAM, High end video card with 3 GB RAM, etc, etc ). Thereā€™s a lot of variables here so nothings set in stone, but I will be designing it for tomorrows needs not todays. Like the X-Carve, I donā€™t plan on replacing this computer anytime soon.

That is the one I was looking at too. How long have you had yours? Any issues?

No problem with the XHC. Here are some pics of what I built.

3 Likes

Excellent! Love the license plate :+1:

Where did you get the electronics cabinet from? Iā€™ll be needing one for the G540.

Thanks. I made the box from plywood and a friend in a sheet metal shop made the front and back plates to my spec. The UC400ETH is in the lower right corner, itā€™s connected to an $11 breakout board and four DQ542MA drivers (all eBay), a MeanWell 48V power supply and in the back a PC power supply for 5V and 12V. I put an emergency stop switch on the panel but found it to be useless so I cabled a second one.

Looks great!

I was just on their site today looking at what they have. How do you like their power supply? Which model do you have? ERP-350-48?

Itā€™s model SP-320-48. I found it while dumpster diving at work. Seems to work fine. Iā€™ve looked at different power supplies since then and MeanWell seems to have a good reputation.

1 Like

Jim Iā€™ve been doing a lot of comparisons between Mach 3/4 and UCCNC. Iā€™m kind of glad I didnā€™t go with Mach 4 like I was initially planning. UCCNC is incredible, and for the money it canā€™t be beat.

Thanks for bringing into my attention :+1: