Best upgrade EVER

Also, the slider has two mounting options. I picked the one that gives me less downward travel, because my wasteboard is quite high, and I use long bits which are easier to change if I can lift the router higher.

You can of course mount it in the other mode and get more downward travel.

I made a modified 3d printable NewBritt dust shoe here:

In addition to modding it to fit the cnc4newbie slider, here are some of the other mods I made to it:
a) made the brush slots straight. Bending the brushes was giving me too many problems
b) adjusted the dimensions slightly on the top pieces
c) added screw holes on the TOP_back piece to leave room for the drag chain screws
d) sized the dust collector opening for a 3" fitting. I use a 3" to 4" adapter to connect a 4" line
e) changed it from a magnet to a slide in design. I left a slot for 2 magnets in the back, but I didn’t bother. I just use pins where the lower bolts used to be, but I left the slot for the nut anyways. Magnets didn’t like the weight of a 4" hose anyways.

Thanks Devon, now I want to buy a ratcheting tap wrench. Reading this forum gets expensive :wink:

Lol right

I thought I’d throw my two cents on the upgrade… I upgraded my latest gen 1000x10000 using the CNC4newbies Z slider for the X carve from his website. It arrived fairly quickly. I was surprised there were no printed instructions, but I’d been following here, so had an idea of what I needed to do. At the same time, I added Charley’s touchplate and his X axis riser plates. Installed without any issues (and using Easel with the new touch plate, which works great!).
I removed the old Z axis by removing the four screws in the back that held it to the mounting plate. I then disassembled the spindle bracket and bolted it to the new Z slider. All of the screws I needed were provided.
The most difficult part was removing the pulley from the motor. I used a grinder to destroy the pulley, grinding it almost to the shaft. I then used a punch to push the shaft out of the old pulley. Hooking ithe motor up was intuitive and without problems. Everything bolted up and lined up perfectly. I pulled some extra cable through the drag chain and it reached the motor fine. I swapped the green and black wires on the x controller end to handle the motor direction change. I did have to cut the ends off of the stock limit switch wires and replace them with the included new connectors to match the new limit switch that was installed on the z slider. Note: there are three connectors on the switch. You need to use the TOP two pins. Finally, I changed the GRBL setting:
$102=50.059
Everything seems to work great. Less than 2 hours for everything. I’d highly recommend all three upgrades. (And I’ve had reason to reach out rock both Charley and CNC4newbies and customer service, shipping, etc. have been excellent!)

5 Likes

How much flex do you guys have in your cnc4newbies slider?

I am seeing more flex than I expected. From what I can see the x-carriage and rail are not flexing.
All the movement in coming from flex in the two vertical rails of the slider.

Are you guys seeing similar movement?

https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/2/7/279e451c9b27479affa853765885779a4f8bec6b.mp4

Too much play to be the z axis, more possible your X carriage/wheels or the X rail. Or the y wheels.

Just my opinion!!

Shouldnt have nearly that much slop. Check all your connections. The Z shouldnt flex that much. Probably something else.

1 Like

other than install what else is needed to be up and running perfect looking to upgrade to this. I use Easel

This thread contains the most information about this upgrade. If you read through the thread you will find all of the answers to your question.

1 Like

Steven - check out my comment above. I just did it, and got everything I needed in this thread. You’ll need to update a GRBL setting ($102=50.059) in machine inspector.

thanks tood exactly what i needed to know. So once i change this in easel machine inspector is it a once and done thing . i know nothing bout this so why the questions, can some one show me a screen shot of exactly where and what to do

To make the changes, you need to go to Easel. Then, Machine | Advanced. From here, just type $102=50.059. The console prompt will echo back, “ok”.
It will “stick” across machine reboots, but if you re-run the machine configuration, you’ll have to redo the GRBL changes.

Does that help?

So after upgrading my 1000x1000 machine and following everything in this thread I changed GRBL setting ($102=50.059) and everything was working “ok” so after initial testing I noticed The machine was about 1/8th " off on the z " if I sent the z up one inch it would move 7/8th" "after calibrating everything the $102 ended up being waaaaaay different, I’ll have to head out to she shop to see what my settings are , but my machine is perfectly calibrated now just seems odd that the $102 ended up way different

1 Like

Phil - I saw in one of your pictures a ruler and a wire attached to measure your Z movement. Is that correct? If so, how do you get three decimal place accuracy? Im missing something :-)… Thanks in advance!

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks, as usual, for the help!

1 Like

Alternatively, you can also use calipers. Measure the gap around where the limit switch is, zero the calipers and z-axis, then drop the z-axis 50mm and measure again.

1 Like

That’s the great thing about this forum… when I started this thread it was just what I did (x and z). Now everyone posted their trials and tribulations and everyone is learning.
Awesome. Just want to thank everyone.

1 Like

You recommend $122=300?

take off the spindle mount and tighten those bolts behind where the mount sits

Also, it may be the nut on the bottom of the lead screw. I caution you to over tighten as it will break. Reach out to joe at cnc4newbies. He’s ontop of any issues!