Best upgrade EVER

Hase anybody from europ ordered this z axis?
I already tried to ask for shipping cost over their website but never got an answer.

I have try on their website and you can have a shipping quote when you checkout.

Or send them an other message!!

Ok i will try again

1 Like

do you use the existing motor?

Yes

where can i purchase this kit? i used the link above and it says unavailable.

Search cnc4newbies on eBay

So, I got mine installed and got my steps per mm calibrated without issue. I stepped the acceleration up to 100 and the max speed to 1800. When it’s running full speed, it sounds great and moves smoothly. But when it first starts moving (in either direction) and when it slows to a stop, or when making small or slow movements, it is noisy as hell. I recorded a couple start/stop movements to illustrate what I mean. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a simple remedy? It sounds awful when probing, in particular, because of the slow movements of it…https://youtu.be/uH4gUjDNywM

But what can I actually do about it?

Edit: When I got mine in, I went through an added blue Loctite to every screw I could find, and made sure everything was snug and smooth to move…

It seems to come from the z sometines but it turns out that it usually comes from other places. By mine it came from a loose t track nut on my y rail.

2 Likes

Ok, I will go through and touch check and tighten everything tomorrow and report back

Go to 300 acceleration. It’s worth it and your machine should be able to handle it.

1 Like

I will give that a try too. It won’t help much with probing or other slow movements, though…

No but you’ll notice your movements will be smoother while carving, especially during 3D carves.

1 Like

Hello,

I have just received the xcarve slider 8" with the 2 Nema 23 stepper motor 1.26Nm-- 178oz-in . Took a long time to get to French Polynesia. There were a few dangs here and there although packaging was undamaged, but didn’t seem to impact on the efficiency of the slider, so fine for me. Installation went smoothly, although I’ll be sure of that only when I’ll be able to do a few tests.

I went over the different posts but I can’t find a tuto on how to wire the motors and the limit switch, and also how to properly configure Easel.

First, the xcarve wires for the Z motor are black, green, red, white. You motor has black, green, red and blue. Should I just match the concording colors and join the blue and white?

2nd, how do I plug the limit switch.

Finally, what are your recommandations as for the Easel variables. So many people post so many versions on the inventables forum that it becomes a little bit confusing. I have never tweak the inspector before and there are no comments on the lines.

I am sorry if the questions sound dumb, especially for the wiring, but living in Tahiti doesn’t only have advantages. If I screw the motor or the switch, it takes 2 to 3 weeks to obtain the spare parts, and custom taxes are very high.

Speaking of the parts, what do you recommand I should order in advance? What parts are more likely to break or get used quickly. I’d rather have spares in my shop before they break.

Thank you for your help.

You may also try a different micro stepping setting, finer steps may give a smoother run.

1 Like

change your micro step setting from 1/2 to 1/8 and it will run smoother. If you do, don’t forget to change to x4 your step/mm.

it’s like the x and y axis are not at 1/2 micro step because the x and y motor run at very low rpm thank the stock z axis.

mho

2 days ago I was looking their new x-carve slider with belt and today I was ready to pull the trigger on this one…out of stock!!! ■■■■!!!

everyone should read/understand this: http://www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-basics.html

one of the best explanation of the stepper theory on the web and from the best “Marris Friemannis, the owner of Geckodrive and the designer of the Gecko stepper”

For the life of me, I can’t find what is causing the vibration. I touch-checked everything in the Z axis and the entire X Carriage. Upping the acceleration to 300 definitely makes it more bearable on the normal course of up and down. Probing still sounds awful, though… It’s livable, but I’d love to eliminate the noise entirely during slow movements too. I feel like changing the acceleration is just a band-aid on the problem.