Best upgrade EVER

I thought about it grabbing it but didnt want to snipe you! Im not really ready for it yet either lol

1 Like

Thank you :-).

It is not too late, if I’m not mistaken there are like 5 listings for the same item. :wink:
here, here, here, here and here

2 Likes

Awesome!! I think I may do it! Thanks Ruwan!

1 Like

Well its official, I have also order the upgraded Z.

4 Likes

I just received mine yesterday. Are there any installation instructions oir is it self explanatory? I guess z axis calibration will be off. Are there suggested number to go with on various xcontroller settings?

Clay

Thanks. Long thread but I read it all. Going to tackle this tonight

1 Like

Assembly is pretty easy and straight forward for the CNC4Newbie Xcarve Slider (Direct Drive).

I’m confused on the wiring of the original Stepper Motors compared to the upgraded one I purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNEPI0A).

Original wire harness is: Red, Black, Green, White
New Stepper Motor is: Red, Black, Green, Blue

1. Do I wire the white and blue together??
  2. Still flip the Black and Green because it is direct drive? (or change the GRBL setting)

Thanks in advance

Got it installed and homing switch working. It is much louder than the old set up. Much lower pitched as well. Normal?

Have you adjusted the max speed and acceleration

Knew I forgot something. Thanks

Just getting around to installing my Z. Wanted to make sure I understood correctly, If I change my dip switches to 1/8 I need to take my steps from 50.059 mm and multiple it by 8? Sorry if this is redundant. Couldn’t find an exact answer.

I don’t recall changing any dip switches.

Your steps per mm need to be calculated for your situation, you can’t use someone else’s value.

1 Like

I have read this thread many times and am still a bit confused. Is there a concise guide to ALL of the settings needed to make this upgrade run the best? Interested in all of the GRBL settings and dip switch changes. Seems like if we could have it all inb one post it would be easy for all to find. Thanks

Clay

1 Like

If you go from 2X to 8X, you multiply by 4, not 8.

1 Like

Hi guys.

Lots of info here, spanning years. I am looking for a z axis upgrade that doesn’t require raising my bed and works with the new stock dust collector. Or maybe one that comes with a bed raise kit that can be added at a later date.

height is a concern, i have a dust hood, some larger rails that are direct drive seem to add a lot to the height.

Working with the stock kit might prove difficult.

The stock kit screws the dust boot arm rails into the Z axis makerslide. The spacing between the rail pieces is only 40 mm, half the width of the backplate of the Z slider. So you can’t use those.

Now, you could use regular 1/2" T-slot rail, drill and tap the Xcarriage and secure the T-slot rails 4.375" inches apart centered on the Xcarriage and still should be able to use the stock system. You might have to use some spacers between the T-slot rail and the Xcarriage to get the proper depth to match the Dewalt on the Z slider but it’s possible.

There have been some Z sliders that maintained the belt drive which could help reduce the amount of height that you add.

Thanks for your reply. After making a few dust collection systems that would eventually shake apart, I like the stock one, even though they delivered it three months late.

I guess I’ll wait for a linear rail that can swap in pretty easily.

My main wobble issue is that when raised, trying to hit the limit switch, the belt will slip, it’s a lot harder to move, at the base, when extended down, there’s a lot of wobble. No amount of messing with the spacers has helped because it’s a non-linear issue. It’s almost as if the screw isn’t straight or the track isn’t straight, but those things shouldn’t be possible.

Maybe you need this: Xcarve SLIDER belt

I think it’s new

Shorter than my direct drive.

1 Like

I know it sounds like a stupid question… but now that the motor has gone from being mounted upside down and using a belt driven system… does the wiring need to be reversed somehow to match the top mounted position? I apologize, I’m a complete neophyte at this stuff. =/

I know it sounds like a stupid question… but now that the motor has gone from being mounted upside down and using a belt driven system… does the wiring need to be reversed somehow to match the top mounted position? I apologize, I’m a complete neophyte at this stuff. =/ Also, I have the new X-Carve 750mm and the wires came prefabbed with the coupling to just plug it in the stepper motor. My question… I seem to have some slack in the lines, would it just be possible to tighten things up and make it reach? Probably a stupid question, but I have to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
Misury