Best upgrade EVER

Less is more, unless you stand next to one with more.
Then less just look stupid.

6 Likes

For me, the linear Z upgrade was definitely worth it. The stability of a linear Z axis compared to the Inventables design is just so much better. I also find with the direct drive instead of a belt, my steps/mm seem to be much more consistent and I can go at least triple the speed (I drilled 480 cribbage boards holes at 60 ipm into walnut with no issues and it took maybe 10 minutes). It’s increased my cut quality and my confidence in being able to design at a certain depth and have it actually carve that depth.

I didn’t ever really have the 2 piece rail (I did for 1 carve but had braced it with a steel bar) so I can’t speak on that. But the raised end plates are a nice addition to get some more clearance.

4 Likes

man, this is disappointing since I just bought my linear rail from him. I would have definitely waited the 2 weeks for this model so that my suck it dust boot was still useable.

Would this be any less rigid being thinner than the current model or just as solid? I want my suckit dust boot to fit but Rigidity is more important in the long run.

1 Like

I have the 6" - 7" model upgraded to the 4-start lead-screw at 50steps/mm and it works fantastic. I upgraded after the fact and I think it was $28 with shipping, I just sent them an email. I believe it’s it a popular lead-screw used on 3d printers as they are all over eBay/AliExpress (you’d have to get the ends machined for the linear z if you bought from a different vendor though).

1 Like

I ordered the 6-7 in travel yesterday with the faster acme screw total $162.00

1 Like

It looks like others have answered your question but I contacted joe before I signed into the forum. He says that yes, it comes as an option that will cost $15.00 extra if you specify it at the time of order. This option is also available for the belt drive models also.

1 Like

Why would it be less stable than the larger one? If anything it would be stronger because of the more compact size. He is using the same material that he uses on the current model except that he has added extra bearings,motor mounting block ect.

I feel you pain. I can’t count how many times in my life that I bought something and a few weeks later it came up on sales.

As for the dust shoe, We have to wait for Jenn to get going on the on the new version for the wider frames. It was quite a setback for her and her husband when his mother died.

Please post links when this is all available. Thanks

Could you please make a diagram showing what you mean?

That’s an interesting concept. My biggest concern has to do with the mounting arms being able to be lowered so that it can reach the top of the waste board with the extra depth that these longer slides are capable of. My conversations with Jenn has her mostly working with kyle’s new set up even though the Newbie units are far outselling kyle’s unit by a wide margin and his has only about 3.5" of drop. For instance, my unit has 7.5" of drop between the bottom of the slider and the top of my table.Nothing I say will convince her and/or her husband that they must be able to deal with the extra capacity all of the newbies popular rails whether 5" to 6" or the 6" to 7" models. Further more they are basing their depth figures on Charley’s Y plates and not every body who owns these sliders us Charley’s plates or that Charley makes custom sized endplates as needed. I’m just waiting until they send out their new refits efore I make my final appeal.

Ordered mine, too!

Just curious if the link posted is with the fast screw? Also what exactly does that do as opposed to a standard one? If you get more travel does that only travel higher or does that mean it travels lower? I want to upgrade mine but not really sure what I should be ordering. Don’t need higher clearance but will need it to go lower than stock by a good inch and half to 2 inch. Figured I would try to get some answers before jumping on the one in the link posted above.

So how much lower will this travel compared to stock?

1 Like

AS you have just heard, the new Z slider is now for sale. The up grade kit is in process.The links to slidder is:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-axis-CNC-Slide-X-carve-READY-7-034-8-034-travel-AB-NUT-LINEAR-BEARING-/272712810756he new and the website is:http://cnc4newbie.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=89

Good to know, i contacted them and discussed swapping mine out but it was costly to ship it back. Ill look into the upgrade kit in the future for sure.

I am going to give this a shot. I ordered the new one piece xrail last week and just placed the order for the Z-axis.

I have the original version of suck it, where the top and bottom mounting parts are one piece.
Is that going to work or do I need the new two piece parts from suck it?

I did send an email to cnc4newbie but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks Bob. I must have missed that one.