Best way to change bits mid project

Any time you change bits you will need to rezero the Z axis, telling Easel to reuse the last home position will use the old Z height, When the job is complete with the first tool, the spindle will move back to the X/Y home position. While the spindle is in that location change the tool and then rezero the new tool in the same X/Y location. Then you can tell Easel to use the new Home position. If the first tool cut away material at the original X/Y home location then it becomes more difficult, you will need to move the spindle over an uncut portion of the material to set the Z height then move the spindle back to the original X/Y home before telling Easel to use the new home position.

Ok, but if I have cut away material from the original X/Y home or have to move it to a clear area to get access to change the bit, how can I move it back to that location after changing the bit. Am confused.

Thanks

Steve

What I would do is just use the jog controls to move the spindle to an uncut location and remember how far I moved it in X and Y. Hopefully a move like 2 inches in X and 1 inch in Y will get you to an uncut location. Then it is simple to just jog -2X and -1Y to return to the exact home location.

Problem is not with the X/Y but with the Z. I move the Z back to the height of the material but then it ā€œairā€ carves. Will record and post tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

I understand, but you must position the spindle over an uncut area of your material and re-zero the Z axis after you change the tool. Then move the X and Y back to the original home location.

If it helps, hereā€™s how I zero out the Z-Axis. You can be one of the first to see my new quickie videos:

1 Like

@AllenMassey, ok ran another test (4 pockets and a V-carve) today and have video attached. Sequence in Easel was as follows:

Using the endmill, did the pockets first
Set home position for X, Y, Z
Imported g-code, Carve, Confirm Homem position

Pockets carved nicely as seen in the video.

I then jogged the spindle over to an area with space and changed the bit to a V-Carve bit.
Jogged back to an approximate X and Y, but set the Z to touch the material.
Selected ā€œUse last home positionā€, etc. Machine then air carves.

Did it again but this time, I used ā€œConfirm home positionā€ and it carved properly. Problem with this approach is that it resets my X and Y, so the carve will not be in the correct position with respect to what I have done before.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Steve

Hello Steve,

It looks like you have figured it out. If you tell Easel to Use Last Home Position, it does not matter that you moved the Z up or down (as long as you use the jog controls) it will just use the Z zero position from the last time you told it to Confirm Home Position.

So as you discovered, if you change tools you must re-zero the Z and tell Easel that it needs to confirm the new Home Position.

Also as you have learned, when you tell Easel to Confirm the Home position it will set the X, Y and Z to where ever the spindle is located.

So if you are wanting to keep the X and Y exactly the same and just reset the Z, you have two option

1. Best - Donā€™t move the X or Y from where the spindle returned to after it completed the first job. Since it is sitting at the X and Y zero position. Just raise the spindle enough to change your tool, and then set the tip of the tool back on the work surface. Now X, Y and Z are all in the correct positions to ā€œConfirm Home Positionā€ in Easel.

2. If the first job you run removes any material right at the X,Y zero point (usually the lower left corner). Then obviously you do not want to zero the Z at that spot. So you will need to move either the X or Y (sometimes both). But if you can only move the spindle in one axis that is best. Just move the single axis a set distance (say 1 inch) to position the spindle over an uncut area of your material. Write down how much you moved the spindle in that axis (or in both axis if you needed to change both).

Then raise the spindle enough to change your tool, and then set the tip of the tool back on the work surface. Now yo u can raise the spindle a small amount (say .1 inch). Next move the spindle back to the original X and Y location by using the jog controls to undo the X and Y movement you made to position the spindle over an uncut spot. You should have written down how much you moved. So if only moved the X 1 inch to the right, undo that move by jogging 1 inch to the left. Then jog the Z down the .1 inch so it at the proper zero location also. Now All Three Axis are at the proper Zero location. You can now tell Easel to ā€œConfirm Home Positionā€ and start the next job with the new tool

This is not nearly as complicated as it sounds. What took me 10 minutes to write you can do in 10 seconds.

Thanks Allen for that explanation.

However, maybe @Zach_Kaplan, Inventables can add this to this to the feature request list for Easel-

A reset of Z-axis only, so in addition to ā€œConfirm homeā€ which zeroes X, Y and Z and ā€œUse last homeā€ which uses the last X, Y and Z, there can be a ā€œReset Zā€ which will record the new Z-Axis zero while keeping the existing X and Y values.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

Steve

4 Likes

Inventables has said they are working on a new feature in Easel to allow the Z to be zeroed using a touch plate. This will also allow you to zero the Z independently of the X and Y. Not sure when they plan to release the upgrade.

3 Likes

Weā€™re working on it for use with the X-Controller.

1 Like

If it works with the X-Controller, will it not also work with the standard controller if a touch plate is correctly connected?

1 Like