Best Wood for Carving Detail

If you are a software developer you can sign up for early access here:

1 Like

Anyone here done detailed relief with Hornbeam wood??. seems to be very cheap in the south of england.

+1 from me for the maple. It has a high density of wood fibers, so the details don’t get lost in the wood grain like you can get from oak. Also, the soft maple makes cutting it pretty nice and it finishes quite well with stain or just a clear coat. In my opinion, I wouldn’t sand maple below 120 grit because it tends to close up the grain too much and it won’t accept stain as readily.

As for the tearout, sometimes you get a chunk of wood that just doesn’t want to play ball. I use Fusion 360 for my toolpaths, and I would highly recommend using the smoothing option under the passes tab. It replaces collinear lines (straight lines used to make a curve) with a single line and tangent arcs to allow the machine to smoothly move through the cut. The smoother the motion, the less tearout you’ll get.

As always, feeds and speed play a role especially with the X-carve’s tendency to deflect slightly on more aggressive cuts.

African mahogany is very easy to carve and stays quite crisp. The main thing I like about it is the the grain tends have carotenoid pigments. Like rainbow trout, it has orange, yellow and red colors that make it look brilliant!