Biggest Possible Spindle? (Ideally 1/2" collet)

So my Bosch Colt router has just packed up on me and I’m looking to replace the spindle for something more powerful.

Now I use this to build electric guitars so variable speed & taking up to 1/2" bits are my main priorities, I’ve been looking at the DeWalt D26200 (which is the European version of the 611 I believe) and I’m fairly certain that this is the best option even though the largest bit it can take is 1/4", but on the off-chance someone has something better to suggest I figured I’d drop a post in here.

Any suggestions or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

I think that the Makita RT700 or 701 (Depending on which side of the pond you live in) is the best small router for our small CNCs. While it comes with 1/4in collet in North America, you can get collets in size 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 as well as 4, 6 and 8mm plus I have reducers to go from 1/8in to 1/16 and 1/32in. It is not quite 1/2in but closer and the speed goes from 10 to 30K RPM providing more range. It is better built than the Dewalt and very reliable and some people are using it to mill aluminum all day. One issue is that you may need a reducer ring (from 71 to 69mm I believe) to make it fit.

I second the Makita. Been using mine for a couple years and it has performed flawlessly. Brushes seem to last much longer than the Dewalt and has a lower minimum RPM setting. The only downside I have found is the body seems to be a little shorter than the Dewalt so the “stick out” below the mounting bracket is less. This can crowd things a little with shorter bits.

Thanks for the responses both, really useful information, I’ll be going ahead with the Makita. When you say I may need a reducer ring, would that be for the spindle mount?

Yes for mounting the spindle

Do you have any suggestions on where I could find one? I’ve just had the Marita turn up and it is indeed a tad thin to fit my current mount for the Bosch.

@RyanBailey Ask on the Shapeoko community message board as they are delivered with the Makita adaptor. I’m sure someone who uses a Dewalt will want to sell theirs for a few$$$ as they may find it a piece of junk they have no use for.