Bit stucks into DWP 611 collet-holder

Yep that is very bad.

1 Like

You need a workbench vise, a block of wood and a hammer. Clamp the end of the bit, place the edge of the block on the collet and tap it firmly.

The same thing just happened to me except my bit wasnā€™t initially broken. I was able to ā€œvice gripā€ onto what little shank (actually the top of the ā€œflutesā€, if thatā€™s the correct term) and gently move it side to side and the collet adapter came right out (it kind of popped out) although in the process I broke the bit, which I was willing to settle for as each of these bits costs just a dollar and fifty cents apiece and I didnā€™t want to ruin the collet adapter part itself (which is what I was afraid would happen if I used pliers to grab it). So, I guess Iā€™ve now joined the ā€œbroke a bitā€ club, but it was for a good cause! @PhilJohnson, where did you buy the $20 1/8" collet? I canā€™t see going through this process every single time I need to change my bitā€¦

Thanks Phil, Iā€™ll do thatā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Cool. Iā€™ll definitely be purchasing one as my second bit is now stuckā€¦ Thanks @PhilJohnson. :wink:

1 Like

Just an update (going back a few months I know).

I bought the correct collet from Elaire. The price on their site was about $25. Seemed OK, but then with freight to the UK it went up to about $36. Still OK.

But then the nice people at UK Customs decided they needed their share.

In the end it cost me a total of Ā£46 - almost $70ā€¦

Hello,

what i would try and do is put the collet in a vise, get something small enough to fit through the hold as to punch out the bit on the opposite side and wack away.

i hope this helps. but that is what i would do first if i found myself in your position.

Kris

Exact same thing just happened to me and none ol the tricks above have worked yet. It seems the collet adaptor sent with the bits isnā€™t the best. Very frustrating because I donā€™t see any other option, other than buying a new router and this one has only been run 3 times. I might try and drill it out. IDK? I went ahead and ordered the nicer collets and precision nut so hopefully when I do figure this out, it wonā€™t happen again.

This happened to me with my fancy pants Elaire collet. The collet nut separated from the collet and the collet and bit were stuck in the router. I must have over tightened it. I tried using some vice grips to pull the bit out and it snapped in the collet jaws.

I ended up using a little penetrating oil between the collet jaws and what was left of the bit and then was able to use a punch and small hammer to carefully tap the bit deeper in to the router and through the collet. The collet then came right out and so did the bit shaft. Easy! I hope this helps someone else in the same situation.