Bobcad or Bobart software?

It is a Java app you download. Google it and download version 2

Okay, so we have that downloaded but we’re getting a universal gcode sender error: “Grbl has not finished booting” and I can’t seem to find a help system or anything.

Do you have the correct baud rate selected for UGS? It should be 115200

1 Like

Yeah, that gives off an alarm:
**** Connected to COM5 @ 115200 baud ****

Grbl 0.9j [’$’ for help]
[’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

If you don’t mind, you could even call over here: 727-489-0003

So it is communicating correctly now? If you have homing enabled it will always come up in Alarm since it does not know where the spindle is and needs to be homed. Just send the $X command to unlock it,

1 Like

BOOM!!! Good lookin’ out sir!!! Now we’ll have to let everyone else who’s using x-carve how to do it with BobCAD if they’re having problems!!! Thanks again!!!

Did BobCad create usable Gcode?

Yep! For the test we just used Mach3 style code. But it’s running her machine. I’ll just take the example that comes off the X-Carve wiki as an example and give that to my post department to make something custom… Do you work FOR X-Carve?

I do not work for X-Carve, just an avid X-Carve owner. I assume you work for BobCad.

Yes sir! Well, you’re amazingly helpful. It’s much appreciated!!

I am very glad you were able to get it working, the more software that works with X-Carve the better! Now if you could price it so that us poor hobbyist can afford it :smile:

1 Like

Well, I know from my buddy on the sales floor that we do offer hobby pricing!! If you ever have any interest, send me an email (mbesel@bobcad.com) or call me on the tech line: 727-489-0003 and I can let you know what they can do for you! (I owe you one, so I’ll do the best I can lol)

I’m with BobCAD Tech support. We got it working with the Universal G-code Sender (UGS) with a Mach3 post. We just saved the code out as a .nc file and UGS opened it up and ran it just fine! (Although I’m probably going to have the post department create a post based on the example on the X-Carve wiki page)

1 Like

Hey guys, I just wanted everyone to know that MatthewBesel from Bobcad Software has been working with me for the last several days to get the Bobcad - Bobart Software working with the X-Carve. It is up and running. Matthew is a very nice and patent guy and worked hard to get this resolved. There still might be a few tweeks that need to be done but it works. And they are checking to see if the post processor needs to be changed. I will post updates on this later. I have version 28 of the software and really like it and I think it fairly easy to learn. We used the Universal Gcode Sender to carve. If the Arduino had a serial port it would probably work with Predator. Thanks again to MatthewBesel and AllenMassey and everyone else for all the help.

2 Likes

Any update on the post file? I hadn’t read this thread and purchased BobCAD CAM v28 at the same time as my X-Carve for Christmas. Is there anything I can download from the BobCAD post page for the X-Carve?

I used the generic BC_3X_Mill.MillPst post file in BobCAD V28 and saved the output as a .NC file. I was able to run the g-code via Universal G-code Sender (UGS) per the suggestions above. What threw me off for a minute was that my Arduino is connected under COM3 and not COM1. The kids are asleep so I haven’t tried with the Dewalt 611 turned on yet. This was a simple 1/2" cube with Z-level rough.

Having trouble drilling holes. My X-Carve gouged a nice V into my project where I wanted holes at 120 angles. UGS showed many “unsupported commands”. I’ll be more careful to run it through not only the simulator in BobCAD CAM but also through UGS to see if it can digest the g-code. Does anyone drill holes with their X-Carve?

*>>> G90*
*>>> O100*
*>>> N01G00G17G40G49G80G21G90*
*ok*
*error: Unsupported command*
*>>> N02T2M06*
*>>> N03G90G54X-35.125Y60.838S2505M03*
*>>> N04G43H2D2Z26.1*
*>>> N05Z9.3*
*error: Invalid gcode ID:24*
*>>> N06G81G99X-35.125Y60.838Z-15.878R14.3F1018.3309*
*error: Unsupported command*

BobCAD has created a post for the X-Carve based on various data I was able to send them. I’m going to try it out hopefully later today. :smile:

Excited to hear how it works