Bought used x-carve - need direction where to start

Hi - I bought a 2018 used x-carve and the guy upgraded everything on it last year. I have it in my shop and ready to test it out and not sure where to start. Any advice for resources to start would be appreciated. I want to make sure the machine is all setup correctly first before I do my first test carve. Is it safe to download the Windows drivers and hook it up, or do I need to do something first?

Here is what I got:

I have watched a few Easel resources and wondering if I just select 2021 x-carve since I believe this one has all of the upgrades?

Thanks, and I’m excited to start playing around with it!

1 Like

this might help you get started?

1 Like

With all of the upgrades, yes you can do the setup as the post nov 2021 version.
If you’ve done the upgrades then you’ve covered verifying belt tension, you may also want to verify the eccentric nuts are set properly and double check the router brushes… heres the reccomended steps for calibration and maintenance.

1 Like

How could i determine the age of a used x carve? Is the control board date stamped?

1 Like

pictures would help, to point you in the right direction

1 Like

The date for the purpose of the setup is more based on the physical characteristics if the machine and whether it has all of the current upgrades, a portion of them, or none at all.

Those upgrades being:
linear rail Z axis
9mm wide x,y belts

There are other upgrade uptions but they dont effect the cnc machine calibration settings…

https://www.inventables.com/categories/machine-upgrades/x-carve-upgrades

Ken, i found the steppers labled as 2019. My guess thats close to the date of manufacture.

well, 3 year is not so bad. almost new with the up grades

1 Like

It has the smaller steppers. Looking at doing some 2.8 amp ones from ebay, just to play with.

I would order from inventables if I was you, just for the customer support. you lose that with aftermarket vs OEM products

sc

1 Like

What Ken said AND the inventables ones are plug and play with the proper connectors and pinouts, ones from other sources typically have a bare wire cable so youd need to cut off the stock connector and splice to the new motor after determining the proper pinout for the phases of the stepper.

However you certainly could use aftermarket steppers if you are up to that task, youd also want to ensure the new ones are the proper voltage as nema23 comes in a vareity of power options.

Interesting, what voltage does the ones that come with the x carve use?

Thanks for the insight.

2.3v
Here’s the specs for the stock short version

2 Likes

Perfect. Has the pin our and all

This is what looking at.

Electrical Specification

• Manufacturer Part Number: 23HE30-2804S
  • Number Of Phase: 2
  • Step Angle: 1.8 deg
  • Holding Torque: 1.9 Nm(269oz.in)
  • Rated Current/phase: 2.8 A
  • Phase Resistance: 1.13 ohms± 10%
  • Inductance: 5.4 mH ± 20%(1KHz)

Physical Specification

• Frame Size: 57 x 57 mm
  • Body Length: 76 mm
  • Shaft Diameter: Φ6.35 mm
  • Shaft Length: 21 mm
  • D-CUT Shaft Length: 15 mm
  • Number of Leads: 4
  • Lead Length: 500 mm
  • Weight: 1.2 kg

Which gives me 2.4v roughly at max current. Worst i can do is burn up a few things…wouldn’t be the first time😁

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.