Brush issue?

Recently I’ve had an issue where partway through a carve the spindle would just go back to work zero as if it were finished. The spindle itself (Dewalt 611) doesn’t stop. I’ve read a number of posts and many indicated that it was worn out brushes. I removed mine and this is what I’ve got:

Now I’m reading other posts that say the spindle “stopped” when the brushes wore out, so I’m confused. Granted, I should probably change the brushes as they do look pretty worn, but do I have another issue or could the brushes cause my problem?

Also, I keep seeing 4-packs of these, but only found 2 in the router. Did I miss 2 or am I looking at 2 sets?

You only use 2 at a time. They usually come in packs of four because they are so cheap. Try crimping the connectors just a LITTLE before reconnecting them. There are three videos on the site on how to reinstall them. One under General I think and two under Un-categorized. One video shows that the spiral spring has to be behind the brush. Usually the router will start making a strange grinding sound when the brushes are worn out. As far as returning to Zero check all wiring connections, if one happens to be loose it might short and cause it to go to the end of the program thinking it is done. Since the wires are flexing a lot they might frey and short out. Just a thought.

If the router is returning to work 0 before the carve is complete that’s not the brushes. The XCare has no way of knowing how good the brushes are. The brushes in your hand are still good.

How do you have the USB cable routed? Is it parallel to power chords? Typically that type of issue is an electrical interference on the communications cable for the controller.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

The USB cable is not directly parallel to the power cords, though they do run in the same direction. The power cord is along the floor, usb about halfway up the wall. I’ve talked to support and they suggested that I remove the spindle’s power cord from the drag chain. I haven’t got around to that yet as I haven’t figured out how best to keep the power cord “mobile”

I always had my DeWalt 611 power cable zip-tied to the outside of the drag chain when my machine was a 500mm, and I NEVER had a noise issue. Now the machine is a 750mm and the power cable is inside the drag chain, and I still do not have any noise issues.

• Zip-ties work great to hold the cable onto the cable-tray, yet keep it slightly away from the stepper cables.
  • Another option, if your stepper cables have an internal shield is to connect the shields together at the X-Controller and connect them to a ground on the controller. Leave the shield NOT connected at the other end where the wires connect to their respective steppers. This should drain any stray inductive noise to ground instead of it creating stray currents along the stepper motor wires which could be making its way back to the controller.
  • You can also install a toroidal choke (filter, RF filter, .etc. … goes by many names) to the DeWalt 611 power cable.

Brandon Parker

Brandon Parker