Building B-Carve

@AllenMassey
I did check out some single Y setups like this one and this one apart from the double ones like this one and this one while researching.

I settled with the dual Y since

• with a single Y I wouldn’t be able to cut my own (wider than my machine’s cutting width) Y end plates
  • I like the idea of having the drive(s) close to the guide(s)
  • I already have an X-Controller (i.e. dual slaved Y 3Amp drives)
  • I have no problem with my existing belt-driven dual Y setup (the ballscrew-driven setup is expected to have even less -virtually zero- backlash)

Btw, by no means do I claim that this design is the best homegrown CNC out there. It’s meant to serve a purpose within certain limitations in a certain confined space.

@anon68752607
I’m not making any quality discounts on the guides. They are the cornerstone of the build. I’m getting original Hiwins. 15mm is the smallest rail size, but more than enough for my application. Btw, this is by far the most expensive component of the build. I got the rails locally for 88EUR/m (approx 30$/ft). I got a sweet deal for the blocks though, for around 120$ for all 6 ( >300$ locally).

There will be snippets of plans along the way. As for the part list, it’s essentially:

• guides: Hiwin HGR15 rails & HGL15CA blocks
  • drives: OEM 1605 ballscrews & ballnuts & ballnut mounts
  • bearing blocks: FF12 (floating sides) & FK12 (fixed sides)
  • z axis: 1605 ballscrew & 12mm rod kit
  • gantry: 60x30 extrusions
  • base: 90x30 & 60x30 & 30x30 extrusions
  • bed: 120x15 extrusions

(all sizes in mm)