Buying an x-carve, are the bits included worth the money?

Hey guys!

I will be ordering my x-carve soon and was going thru the materials list. It has 2 bits that are checked in the order list. the High Speed Steel 2 Flute Upcut Spiral (10 bucks), and the Solid Carbide 2 Flute Spiral Upcut (Ball Nose End) (42 bucks).

Since I live in canada and I’m already getting raked over the coals since our canadian dollar is so bad right now. I am trying to save wherever I can. I’ll be making my own wasteboard, and was thinking about ordering the End Mill Starter Set which is the same price as the Solid Carbide 2 Flute Spiral Upcut bit, but I get 8 bits total verses the 1 bit.(I’m guessing the 1 bit is higher quality than the set)

What do you guys suggest? I’m new to the cnc stuff so it’s all a learning experience for me. Just trying to save a little where I can.

Thanks guys

1 Like

Skip the endmills, that carbide one is super overpriced, buy from http://torbidetooling.com/, for those 52 bucks i can get 5+ 1/4" carbide endmills from them and their quality is great.

I just bought a pack of 10 flat nose spiral upcut 1/8" solid carbide end mills for about $11 US.
I also bought a pack of 10 ball nose spiral upcut 1/8" solid carbide end mills for about $12 US.
Both were bought on ebay from China. I have used them on soft wood in testing a new CNC machine and no complaints. Even if they don’t last long, I don’t know, at about a buck each, I’m not out much.
That’s 20 bits for around $23.