Calibration of steps Per mm

Here’s the bit :slight_smile: it’s produced by expancnc

Have you cut a single line with this and measured actual width of cut?
:sweat_smile:

Not really sure, but to elaborate on what I am getting at:
Say you want a true circle but the carve actually produce circle with flat sides/top/bottom with a radius of various degrees. This tells us that there are restriction that hold back when one axis transition from one direction to the opposite. Maybe the wheels are too tight on the X-carriage / or there is more play.

1 Like

The Width of cut is somewhere between 3 and 3.2mm with the current bit :slight_smile:

I just ran through the weels on the x carriage again. I’ve tried to loosen them a bit, and the carriage now slides almost freely on the extrusion, but hasnt lost grip and theres no click sound when i try to jank the bit or the carriage (meaning all wheels has contact with the extrusion).

Guess i’ll have to do one more cut…

God this is frustrating :stuck_out_tongue: I just wanna cut!

Btw… Do you have any other improvements for me to do? I’ve added the y brackets, solid extrusion for x carriage. Anything i’m missing?

Thank you for the comment :slight_smile:

I think I’ve solved the round issue.
Please see photo :slight_smile: it measures in at 29,4 by 29,4 !!!

That looks much better :slight_smile: You can now measure the diameter of a coin you have and carve a pocket to that size to see how even/uniform the carve actually is.

Yea will do!

Guess I’ll have to calibrate steps even finer now :slight_smile: to be sure to hit the coins dimension:)

Now it appear that your machine move according to design, now it is time to dial in the accuracy (and repeatability!)
What do you intend to create / how precise do you want it to be? :sweat_smile:

Well hopefully within 0.1mm :slight_smile: is going to create aluminum brackets and holders :slight_smile:

I think the angle is ruining the picture a bit :confused: it’s of the same circle.

1 Like

It definitely is the angle :stuck_out_tongue: I’m overly satisfied though!

Just need to calibrate accuracy :stuck_out_tongue:
How hot do you guys allow your motors to be?

Earlier I used a Nema17, 49oz on Z, water would boil in the motor case… It didn’t fail on my though…!
70-80degC should be fine from the motor stand point as a normal as they are often rated up to above 100degC… I have since changed to Nema23 269oz on Z-axis and I can just barely feel any added warmth. It would be expected to heat up more of doing prolonged 3D carvings.

Note that my machine is not an Xcarve, just behave similar in terms of cut rates etc and my Z motor mount on top, Stock Xcarve can only take up to 54mm long Nema23´s before it start to hit structure :flushed:

So…
Heres the latest update… It’s freaking awesome!!!

Its very close to perfect now! My test square is x = 49,95, y = 50,03!!! My circles are round…
I’m a very happy carver :smiley:
Thanks all for the assistance and patience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ive been following this thread. My machine was cutting perfect circles and then it stopped. I have calibrated the step per mm tested belt tension and wheels can be spun with two fingers not one. these are the results I’m getting. i made a circle in easel that is suppose to be 3/8"

theses are front and back views. the one on the top in the first picture looks close to circular until you flip it over.

Should the z axis do this with the machine on and me lifting slightly by hand?
https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/7/f/7f0e7e1e34b245e3afdd8c36ee7a5c3fa3cb48b8.MOV

will do. could that be the cause? its getting to cold to go do any more tests tonight

Let me know if I should start a new thread.

All calibration things are set perfect. I bought a bigger bit and smaller collet so I don’t need to use a reducing insert. I think I have a idea of what might be going on. When I jogged all the way back I saw I the x wasn’t square to the two y. So I jogged further back until both sides caught up to each other by having one hit the back plate. Now I’m a lot closer then I was. My two y rails are parallel I measured there dust apart from front and back. Could my x still be skewed? Any other recommendations to fix that?

Just a followup for those interested!

I’m getting really accurate and reliable cuts :slight_smile:
So it’s all really good!
The attached is a new z motor plate ! Notice how the bearing fits? It’s a snug fit but it’s easy to push in - so it’s right on spec! It was cut at 0,3mm doc and 720mm/min

Again, thank you for the help!

2 Likes