Can anyone summarise the Limit Switch / Homing Switch saga?

I have limit switches on my machine, but having crashed my machine into the end of each axis multiple times and broken a couple of switches, I’ve pretty much given up on trying to use them (I’m concerned that eventually, I’ll break something more important).

I’ve tried to wade through the long and varied threads regarding Limit Switches, but I’m really struggling to get a good idea on where I’d like to go next.

From what I can understand, it appears that what I thought were true “Limit Switches” are really only homing switches - that is they operate only when instructing the machine to “home” itself. If instructing the machine to exceed the physical limitations of any axis, the presence of a switch on that axis means nothing - the machine will continue to drive itself into oblivion (I’m exaggerating for effect).

• Has anyone got reliable homing working on their 1000mm X-Carve? (it appears there is an issue with noise if the switch wiring is run through the drag chain).
  • Is “Homing” worth the hassle? As a newbie, all I’m doing is zeroing the ‘machine position’ and ‘work position’ prior to beginning each job. Why would I need to ‘home’ the machine if I still need to zero the work position?
  • I’d really like to set up some real “Limit Switches” on my machine similar to this Limit Switches - #29 by Rusty does anyone know where there’s a simple set of instructions I can follow?

I suspect I’m not the only one who’d benefit from a couple of suggestions, and as usual, all comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
David.

1 Like