Can I go wirelesss from my computer to my x controller

I have my computer set up on a workbench that does not butt right up to my x carve. I could run a cord from my computer to the x controller but I think it will get in the way and wont look real clean. I would rather if possible go wireless between the two. Has anybody done this yet? If so how did you do it?

You’d need to get two devices that can speak USB wirelessly. Google…

No. You’d need a device that can talk to a USB serial port and transmit that wirelessly.

If the raw serial port was exposed, it’d be simpler to do but it’s not.

I use a Raspberry Pi to connect to the Xcontroller and I then connect to the Raspberry Pi from my laptop. I don’t use Easel but others here have successfully used Easel to accomplish this.

[quote=“JustinBusby, post:3, topic:40816”]
talk to a USB serial port and transmit that wirelessly[/quote]. That’s what I said, “…can speak USB wirelessly”

This has been the best thing I have done with the X-Carve. can use it locally or remotely as needed. can use Easel with Easel local or UGS, or Bcnc, or CncJs, or Chillipeppr etc. etc.
ps: also love using the wireless keyboard to jog while standing over the machine.

1 Like

Ok thanks guys. I have never used a Raspberry Pi but looks like Im going to go buy one and figure it out.

If you have two computers you can. Not the best method but will work as its easy to set up.
You can use a application to log into the computer hooked up the the X-carve and control it remotely.
The computer hooked to the X-carve does not need to have any monitor or keyboard either.
The app is Teamviewer (TeamViewer – The Remote Connectivity Software)

Using a Raspberry Pi will be harder as you will need to use software similar to Astroprint. (https://www.astroprint.com/) Its used for wireless 3d printing.
Here is someone who did this but you will have to study like he did to adapt it to your needs.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Alamode-CNC-Controller/

Some more ideas…

Good luck.

why would you need this Astroprint? I have the Raspberry Pi and I use it locally with Easel Local all the time. I also just follow the directions as listed here: GitHub - samyk/easel-driver: Easel driver for Linux, Mac, Windows, ARM, Raspberry Pi, Intel, FTDI, CH340, CH341, CP210x, FTDI clones, local, and remote access to GRBL-based CNC controllers and you can control the X-Carve through your local area network from a remote machine. I do not log into or control the raspberry pi remotely just use the driver to send the commands to remotely.

3 Likes

If you want to use the Raspberry Pi to control your X-Carve and use Easel Local then you really need to read this post by @SamyKamkar Easel Local for Linux? - #17 by SamyKamkar

it is by far the easiest and best way to use the Raspberry Pi with the X-Carve and I have never needed any additional software to make it work. It also has the ability to update the firmware now and it is by far the most easy way to get the Easel Local to load and work. If you follow the directions it will load into memory on boot just like the windows and mac driver and it will not take over the port unless you connect to it, this means that it doesn’t interfere with UGS or any other controller you want to use.

3 Likes

I said similar to.

still do not understand what you are trying to say with your statements then. now it is even more cryptic of a statement. should he use these programs as you listed? if not then why list them as what he needs? have you even tried to use the Raspberry Pi to control the X-Controller? if not then what are you basing your statements on? is this helping this person get to a solution. I see that you link refers to making a controller with the Raspberry Pi but the OP stated he has an X-Controller so why would he need to spend more money building another one? the OP just wants to use his X-Controller through a wireless connection. so many questions with the solutions you presented.

P.S. not trying to start a long pissing match but wanting to understand what you are presenting that would be what the OP asked for. I am also always looking for a better solution that has more options than before. Just don’t see it here.

Has anyone tried a USB WIFI stick? Then it could be connected to the network and possibly accessed remotely? I could be talking out of my fourth point of contact but it seems like that might be a solution that is simpler and more cost effective than other options.

are you suggesting that you simply stick an USB Wi-Fi adapter directly into the X-Controller? never would have thought that to work as it would still need to be configured somehow to the network. I don’t believe that any USB Wi-Fi stick would know how to connect and forward commands properly without configuration.

Yeah… the more I think about it the more I doubt it would work. In my brain, what it would do is make the x-controller wireless… which would give it an IP Address. That IP address then could be accessed remotely via the router.

In my brain that is how it would function… but reality could be very different. I don’t have an X-controller to try it on. I do solar work and one of the monitoring devices I have used, I routinely will add a wifi stick to it (instead of hardwiring to the router with cat5 cable) and it sends and receives info and you can access it remotely via IP address.

It needs a computer for translation/configuration. The USB on the Xcontroller connects directly to a USB to RS232 IC and not an actual computer.

Taking the Raspberry Pi example even further, you could write an application on the Rpi that opens the USB serial port of the Xcontroller and just pushes that data out over TCP. On your PC/Mac side, you’d need an application that can create a virtual COM port and essentially do the reverse, take the TCP packet data and translate it to a virtual COM port so it’d be available to Easel/UGS/whatever.

I doubt you’d have any latency issues or timing issues at these speeds but it’s possible. Most code is streamed so I doubt you’d run out of the internal GRBL buffer before more commands can be sent.

EDIT

There’s already an existing Python serial port server script and in Windows, there is some free software that will do the COM port to Ethernet. So it’s a really simple test to do. I’ll try it out this weekend.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I appreciate all of the help.

You are just reading into my statements too much. Making assumptions.
I will help if I can but I cannot go out and do what he is trying to do for him. I can suggest things I have seen work.
If he wants to go ahead and use a Raspberry Pi as he suggested. I merely suggested he look for an open system to control the X-carve. Astroprint does this only its used for 3d printing. I am sure there are some who have done what he wants to do with small CNC machines. He just needs to go out and look. Your method is similar to mine only the remote system is the raspberry pi. Still 2 machines and controlling one remotely. Raspberry pi is a Linux system and Easel work on it as we both know. However I thought he wanted to control it without using 2 computers.

Its basically a choice he has to make.
And I am not trying to confuse others.
Just let me know and I will try to un-confuse you. :wink:

no need to un-confuse me. thanks anyway. I have been using one system to control the X-Carve for quite a while now (a Raspberry Pi3). I only use the second system when it is convenient for me, not because it is necessary. I did not build a whole new controller to replace (or control) the X-Controller (as you suggested) as that would be unnecessary and completely redundant. I was just trying to figure out why one would suggest such things that make absolute no sense but after you posted your responses to reiterate your logic I now understand that your statements were made without experience or practical application of any of the systems mentioned. so don’t you make the assumption that I don’t know. I have used a raspberry pi as the only control system for the X-Carve and I have also used the same raspberry pi to control the X-Carve over the network from a remote machine. I am talking from experience and practical application, after you have made a system that applies and can speak from experience and theoretical situations I will stop pointing out the fallacy of the statements.
:pensive:

I did not mean to suggest that meant you didn’t know anything.
I did not state your method was false or that you have no experience.
I do not know where your attack on my statements are coming from either.
Now what I stated does work however I also stated that I never went that direction. I could if its to prove a point but I am not running an adruino based system anymore. There are plenty of people out there who run linux boxes (Not a pi) that will do exactly what I suggested. Its not theory. My understanding was that he wanted to remote the computer and not run a PI as you do. I own a 3d printer that does this and its not a simple thing to do. I just was letting him know that there are options and he will have to research them. Its not an easy setup unless your good with Linux. I do not know anyone else’s knowledge and I do not claim to. I do know my own and I do know that I did not say things that were untrue.
Your not the only one that knows things and have experience with either.
So stop with the bashing and help this guy. I will not speak any more here and let you continue helping him. I have more important things to attend to anyway.

never said I was the only one with knowledge or that my way was the only way. these are the kinds of bashing that keeps me making comments on this post.

As I stated earlier I was trying to understand the advantages of creating a new controller and getting rid of the X-Controller. that is not bashing nor stating that is the only way. you have made your point and I respect that.

I just did not want anyone to think that they needed to invest in a whole new system to do something that was not needed. As others have done this without re-creating the controller and have wonderful results.

So I agree with you on this part. Lets help this person get to his objective of using the X-Controller wirelessly.