Can I make this? Disney Haunted Mansion Sign

This is where I am confused. This link was recently posted on the forum concerning copyright and Disney -

In that link it appears to state that the “HOST” is not responsible.

"Curious about the process Disney undertook to get these models off of Thingiverse, I asked the IP law expert about inner workings of copyright infringement claims. Essentially, Thingiverse is the mediator in these types of situations, but holds no responsibility for the models that their users upload. The platform is protected by a law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, also known as the DMCA.

This law covers every website that allows users to post their own content, and supports the idea that these websites should not be tasked with figuring out what breaks copyright law and what doesn’t. Instead, sites like Thingiverse register with the U.S. Copyright Office, setting up a process where a rights holder can complain that their IP is being infringed upon"

1 Like

Yeah, according to this article Inventables would not be held responsible for any files users posts.

2 Likes

the waters are so muddy… thanks to lawyers. the way it should be is that if it is an original piece, lets say a space themed south American styled round piece that mimics the passage of time (yeah totally original right? somebody should make one) and it is shared on a site with an expectation that any pieces are for personal use (not commercial sales) it should be totally fine. If someone scans an existing licensed and commercially sold masked cyborg, that sounds like James Earl Jones… then distributes that file… then that I can see as having copy write issues.

Ugh… before anyone says it I get it that the guy that made the first Aztec star wars calendar was not the one that shared it… and did you notice the Marvel one the guy didn’t take any straight on photos to help prevent the same thing happening to his piece? I am just making a reference.

1 Like

There’s a difference between what lawsuit they can win and the amount of trouble a company can cause with an almost infinite amount of money and the ability to darken the sky with lawyers flying on brooms.

1 Like

…don’t forget to store them in the cloud for safekeeping! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The simple fact is, we don’t know who made the complaint. Good rule of thumb, whether you’re right or wrong it’s way to expensive to fight Disney.

I just couldn’t help myself…

2 Likes

So this was just released on thingiverse, who wants to ■■■■ off Marvel now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a long video. But this guy is an expert, and explains the copyright question pretty well.