Can Pine be used?

You mentioned 1x6’s, which may be the reason for the different experience. My supplier carries boards, usually for shelving, in 12" x 3/4" x 120" sizes. I believe they are kiln dried. All of the wood I receive is nearly always perfectly flat. I usually let it sit for a few months to over a year, just depends on how much I’m using, and where it was in the stack. When used for general construction it’s perfectly fine. All of the warped boards I’ve experienced were flat when they were cut. Usually after being cut and sealed I start to see warp about a week out. Since my shop is humidity/temperature controlled I didn’t see a lot of this until customers told me about it weeks later, so I started holding onto finished work longer to see it develop. I work in Texas where it is generally hot and dry, but that’s not always the case for where the signs end up. It could also be the local wood and the climate it was grown in as well. This evening I’ll try to find a few discards with the kind of warp I’m talking about so you can see what I’m talking about. The only thing I can imagine causing it is the cuts relieving internal tension and the sealing causing uneven moisture retention.

The biggest problem with kiln dried pine is you don’t know for sure how much it was dried to. I have found different suppliers dry the wood more or less. I think it is ussually around 12 to 14 percent. As soon as you put it in the shop it starts to dry more and there is no way to keep it flat. I buy 1000’s of board feet on 1x12’s a year and the best looking pieces end up to be the worst pieces you can get. It is a bear to work with and keep flat. Best way i have found is to flatten it with a drum sander. A planner has to much down preasure and will not flatten it. A jointer will work but mine is to small for 1x12’s. And the biggest thing is what you have let after you get it flat.

What material type setting should I use that would be closest to pine? I got some free Pine to practice on, so I want to get busy…
I have loved online but can’t find anything to match the “material settings” selections

I use the soft maple settings for pine and it works ok.

Thanks for the heads up… Its just free wood to practice on right now… will keep an eye out for future projects

Thank you… I appreciate it

Just to ensure there is a common understanding, all pine species are not created equal. There is southern pine, white pine, red pine and others but they are completely different. Some will cup and twist while others are more stable. I have planks of white pine that are over 10 years old and they are straight. Red pine on the other hand will make good posts but planks will need to be nailed down green to stay straight and they may crack under stress. I used some southern pine in construction, not for cabinet making or milling so I’m not as familiar with it but I’m sure it has it’s own characteristics. All this to say that you have to be careful when you make generalizations for all pine species.

1 Like

Ok so here was my first and second try with pine… The material was centered properly or I didn’t zero it right (still learning)… So I slid up the next piece and hit it right where I wanted it to

1 Like

was not centered

I use pine almost exclusively, along with birch plywood
No problems
God Bless
Martin

I use pine for a majority of my carvings. I let it sit so if warping occurs I can deal with it before I start the carving. These were all done in pine and hanging in my shop for sale.

C1D817F3-0E19-4F74-82C7-EE223F4AF7978C89F803-AE33-4AD7-AB8A-F6C589C256FF

1 Like

@TroyWright nice work are the signs all outset ?

No, there is a combination of inset and outset. I can’t tell you how many failures I experience to get one good one. I will admit though, it it is fine details you are looking for, get a harder wood than pine. Pine is so soft that the fine lines break off as the bit passes near them. I have had good detail out of maple and poplar.

1 Like

Make an adjustable sled for your planer. With that you can level even the worst boards.

With pine the trouble is the cup not 1 side being thicker then the other. Maybe i am thinking this wrong.

That clock is bad#@$!!! Of you don’t mine me asking… How long did it take you to do this piece? (the carving and over all)

I just did a rolling stones tongue picture and it took an little over an hour! on Baltic Birch…20190210_102113|374x500

Actually… Everything all of you posted are bad$#@!!! I appreciate all of the feed back!!!

Super nice job of using the grain to your advantage.

Honestly, some of that was by accident as I am still learning the art of woodwork. I’m a mechanic by trade and thought I would branch off a bit.