Can this plane a slab of wood?

I’ve been on the fence on buying this for 6 months. I have tons of questions. The ceo actually emailed me to do a zoom on it but I guess he got busy and never followed through.

First question/…. Is this motor strong enough to plane one side of a slab. I make slab tables and epoxy pour tables. This would be one use for the pro if it’s capable of this.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Any CNC will at some extent be able, question is how quickly.
But yes, the Xcarve will be capable of running 1-1/2" surfacing bits for planing operations.
(as long as the bit in question can take the Dewalt minimum RPM of 16k)

Added:
Xcarve Pro VDF spindle will have greater potential with larger bits/lower RPM.

2 Likes

I think the OP is asking about the Pro model.

Thanks guys. That’s a big bonus for me.

i got my Pro about a week or so ago.
i used it with the 1.185 Dia bit to plane off about 30 x 30 piece of oak 1.9" down to 1.5" did a pretty good job, Very light cutting marks and relatively 0 run out. I would not recommend this on the original Xcarve but the pro handled with no issues.

2 Likes

I used mine with a 1 1/2" surfacing bit to plane a 16x17" cutting board that I had glued up a day earlier. It’s a combination of Black Walnut, Maple, Padauk, and Purple Heart. I was very impressed with the results.

4 Likes

Yes, it works great. I’ve used mine with the included surfacing bit to plane some birch rounds that were too big for my planer.

2 Likes

That Purple Heart was a nice touch. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Thanks! It’s coming along nicely. I need to make some feet for it. It’s 16"x17"x2" and weighs a nice 12lbs. I am going to use the X-Carve to make some feet for it out of some scrap purple heart. I can’t wait until I get to apply the oil to this one.

I ended up making the feet from padauk. I made some with my scrap purple heart first, and they seemed too small.

5 Likes

This is a cutting board that I made using a old working bench riser. I used the bit that came with my X-Carve Pro. The riser was hard Maple

1 Like

What were the cut settings you used to plane down your maple?
I am trying to do the same, but the stock settings I am suspecting are incredibly conservative. Or should I just slowly step up and see what the XCP can really do?

Here is my project file.