Can we see some more detailed output examples?

Hi! I am about this close to pulling the trigger on an X-Carve, but I’d be interested in seeing some more examples of the machine’s capabilities. It’s neat that it can cut a whole longboard, but let’s be honest, that’s not exactly a high-precision job. :slight_smile: I would really, really like to see some sample output that showcases the machine’s accuracy and repeatability. If such examples exist and I just haven’t been able to find them, then a slap on the wrist and a link would also be graciously accepted. :smiley: It really seems like the X-Carve is the machine I’ve been waiting for - a large work area at an extremely reasonable price. I’m just very curious to see how it performs on more intricate jobs.

Hey Timothy,

What kinds of projects do you want to make? If you make something in Easel you can share it with me and I can try carving it out this week if we have the materials.

Zach

Hey Zach, thanks for the quick reply!

I have a whole bunch of projects I’d like to use a CNC router for, and…do you think I can come up with a good example right now? Hehehe :slight_smile:

I do a lot of tinkering. Some might call it “making,” but I never seem to actually finish anything. :slight_smile: Frequently, I run into some aspect of assembling (insert random gadget here) that could really benefit from a custom-made part, be it a full enclosure for something, or maybe just a custom bracket or other oddly-shaped widget. I didn’t realize I could access Easel, so I will look around and see if I can find one of those projects that was set aside in hopes of being able to make some custom pieces someday. Barring that, I’ll try to come up with something suitably gadget-oriented to provide as an example.

I appreciate the offer of a test carve, that’s very generous! Thanks again!

(edited to add) - Oh my, Easel will directly import an SVG file. That’s fantastic. To Inkscape I go! :smiley:

Would engraving a detailed logo or graphic into a piece of wood or 2 color acrylic with a 1/16" bit be interesting for you to see?

1 Like

Actually, a logo on some 2-color acrylic would be an excellent demonstration. :slight_smile: It’s not that I don’t believe that the X-Carve is capable of doing the task - I hope I’m not giving that impression - I’d just like to see an actual piece produced by the machine. In lieu of a personal test drive, it’s the best thing I can think of to base a purchase decision on.

Thanks for your patience with me. :smiley:

Cool. Search google images for an Image (ideally an SVG) you think would meet your criteria and post the link. I’ll import it into Easel and carve it out.

After scouring Google for something suitable and coming up kind of dry, I grabbed something out of my own stash.
http://www.hooverae.com/saab_scania.svg
It’s not super-duper complicated, but I do have the benefit of knowing that this particular file cuts perfectly on my vinyl plotter. You have the final call on whether it’ll be good to try on the CNC, of course, and at whatever size would be appropriate. If this file won’t fit the bill, then…you know what, at this point I think I’m going to end up ordering the machine anyway, but I’d still like to see some detail work at some point. :smiley:

Thanks once again for taking the time out to talk with me! :smile:

Hi Timothy,

You sound just like me I tend to try lots of different projects but seldom manage to finish one straight to the end without starting another project part way through.
I also would love to see any finished project as well so I could get a better idea of what it can produce.

Regards Poppy Ann.,

Hi @TimothyHanson

I see @Zach_Kaplan might be cutting something for you. Pretty great customer service I think!

I saw this on YouTube as well if you want to see the X-Carve in action:

BTW… @DrunkenWoodworker great stuff! Keep the X-Carve video projects coming! Maybe something that fits into your current Pucture Frame series. Your videos are Mmm, mmm, mm, mmmmm, good. :wink:

2 Likes

@sketch42, it is pretty great, considering I’m not actually a paying customer yet!

Thanks so much for posting the Drunken Woodworker video. That’s the kind of stuff I’d like to see more of!

Oh, @PoppyAnnLynagh_smith, if you could only see my “workshop” (read: bedroom) right now, especially after this long and cold Maine winter - it kind of looks like a Radio Shack collided with a metal recycling facility, and left only the messiest possible remnants of everything behind. :smiley:

@Zach_Kaplan - after browsing around the site some more, it’s become apparent that I am, in fact, a great big dummy-face. Even knowing that the X-Carve is a descendant of the Shapeoko, it didn’t quite click just how closely related they are. I’ve been looking over the Projects page and have seen quite a few great examples of things I’d also be likely to do, and I’m willing to bet that anything done previously with a Shapeoko would come out just as well (if not better) with an X-Carve.

So, I am going to place an order today. :slight_smile: Unless you already happen to have the machine running by the time you read this, please don’t feel obligated to cut the design I posted earlier. I’m a believer. :smile:

Hi @TimothyHanson first of thanks for ordering. After work I came down to our shop and carved out the logo you sent over. The first thing I did was download the file you provided. Then I imported it into Easel. I shared the file so you can get in there and take a look. I selected acrylic as the material, centered the logo on the 8"x12" acrylic, and selected the outline to be “on the path”.

My first attempt at using the X-Carve to carve it didn’t turn out so good. I was using a 1/16" bit and I was moving at 30inch/min. There were two problems. The first was the bit diameter was too wide for the design. The second was I was going too fast for that small of a bit and it broke. I started over and lowered the speed to 20 inch/min. That job completed but as you can see in this picture it’s kind of blocky because of the bit diameter.

Here’s a close up to show you what I mean.

My second attempt is below. The 1/32" diameter bit made a huge difference for detail. The downside is you need to go much slower or it will break. For detailed engravings like this you might also consider engraving bits. I didn’t try them on this job but they come to a point so you can get a sharper more precise line than a 1/32" bit. You may be able to go a little faster since they are designed for engraving but I’d have to test that hypothesis.

As you can see in the close up it looks much better with the 1/32" bit. I broke the first one because 20inch/min is too fast for a 1/32" bit. I slowed it down to 5 inch/min and .005" depth of cut. This worked much better. You can see how the smaller bit diameter yields thinner cleaner lines.

6 Likes

I don’t think I even have the words to express my gratitude, Zach. The fact that you made multiple runs at it, and on your own time, is well above and beyond what I could have expected you to do. I thank you most sincerely for taking the time to do that for this odd Internet stranger. :smile:

The carving results are great to see, especially the first run, since it shows the importance of finding the right settings and bit sizes. Honestly, that’s probably a better demo than a perfect copy done with a V-bit would have been. I feel like I should owe you a sheet of acrylic now. :smile:

Now I’m super extra excited to get my machine. It’s been a very long time since I’ve had that “kid waiting for Christmas” feeling!

Once again, a heaping helping of thanks to you. If the opportunity ever arises, I will happily buy you the frosty beverage of your choice. :smiley:

4 Likes

Awesome! Done on the 1000mm machine I assume? So great to see this! More More More!

That was done on the 500mm machine. The acrylic was 8" x 12" x 1/8".

Hi Timothy, yes this site should allow us to put up photographs of items on our profile page i doubt i could get a photo of my kitchen as it is so small and so much in it i would need a fish eye lens to get it into the one photo but it keeps me entertained for many hours at a time but i doubt if i lived with anyone else that i could get away with the way i have it most of the time.

Regards Poppy Ann.