Can you cut thicker pieces of hardwood?

Ideally, this is a question I should have asked before purchase, since this is a huge part of what I do on a day-to-day basis and my x-carve purchase was done solely to assist in that.

Up until about 6 hours ago, I built and hand cut custom kitchen utility boards using various hand tools. Tonight, I decided to jump right in head first and cut a laminated 18X24 inch 1.73 inch thick blank into the shape that my customer has asked me to create for him.

Just over 1/2 way through the cut, I realized I had an issue (are you noticing a trend here?)

The vast majority of the boards that I make are just shy of 2 inches thick. My hope was that I could create my laminated blank, load up the design in Easel and then poof the shape I wanted would be cut and I could end my rocky relationship with my jigsaw.

That is 100% not how this worked out.

When I ordered my x-carve, I ordered all of the bits on the site, because I didn’t know exactly what I needed. Obviously, what I needed most was a cutting bit that would work its way through almost 2 inches of hardwood and that’s gonna be pretty darn difficult with bits that aren’t even 2 inches long.

I got to looking at CNC Router Bits and found something that might work, but now that I’ve Googled, I am finding that this may not even be possible, even with a bit that has a 2 inch cut height.

I am normally not that guy when it comes to asking for help when I can Google for an answer – but it’s hard when you don’t really speak the language and absolutely admit complete ignorance when it comes to this.

So, if cutting close to 2 inches is doable, would the 45456 CNC Carbide Tipped Straight Plunge from Amana be the correct bit to use? I am less concerned about it being rough than I probably should be – but at this point, my priority is to never have to cut this entire image by hand using a jigsaw.

Thanks everyone

Well, that amana bit could do it… if the collet in the trim router affixed to the xcarve took bits with a shaft that wide, but its limited to about 3/8" however most bits come in 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", abs 3/4" … the larger 2 options are to large, but the 1/4" would be good if you can find 2" cut length… like this one…

https://spetools.com/collections/spetool-extra-long-series-woodworking-router-bits/products/spetool-w04022-1-4-diam-solid-carbide-4-inch-long-upcut-spiral-router-bit?ref=SALE&variant=41016181260471

1 Like

I sure like the price point on that one Seth, but is the quality good?

That one with work with the Makita?

1 Like

I mean its an uncoated carbide but, so they don’t stay sharp as long as the spectra coated bits, but still last pretty well.

I havent tried this bit specifically, but use spetools brand tapered ball bits and compression bits exclusively.

They have an Amazon store if you wanted to go through the reviews

We do a lot of 2-2 1/2" cutting. There are a wide range of “Extended” end mills on the market. We cut mostly all Ebony and Cocobolo. If you’re not using a vacuum assist you’ll want less flutes so it removes the cut away material faster. For hardwoods, non coated end mills are fine, even with wood as dense as Ebony. The laminate however may want to steer you towards a coated end mill as it’s very abrasive.

Makita routers take a 1/4" shank standard. So to answer BrandyDarby, yes this will work with a Makita.

You’ll have to adjust your speed/feed rate accordingly, with an extended end mill, there is a lot more deflection based on your speed/feed selection.

1 Like

Of course, I’m sure you know that 2" cut requires multiple passes. For me, I make a 3/4 to 1" cut, dismount the piece, rough cut with my band saw, then clean up with a flush trim bit on the router table, with the bearing running on the CNC cut edge. Faster than the CNC and clean edge.

1 Like

It isn’t “laminate” that we’re cutting – we’re cutting laminated wood – meaning, we take a bunch of thinner pieces of wood and glue them all together in a process called “lamination” – the end result is looks like these.

I do have a dust collection system and run it attached to the shoe while I’m working. Do you have a specific 2-2.5 inch end mill that you can recommend?

I’ll be real honest, I’m probably going to buy whatever y’all suggest, try them all then go from there. This entire experience has been trial and error, I’m not gonna lie LOL

1 Like