Cannot connect to X-Controller through USB [Win10]

I just finished putting together my X-Carve and am trying to setup my first project through Easel.

I’ve downloaded the latest driver (EaselDriver-0.3.20.exe) as prompted by Easel after hitting the blue “Carve…” button. But when I refresh my it still doesn’t turn green and says it cannot find the my machine. I’ve gone to device manager to check to see if the driver was installed correctly and it says the driver for the X-Controller is not installed.

I’ve uninstalled the driver and made sure to “Run as administrator” the driver .exe several times and restarted both my computer and the controller.

I’m running Win10 x64bit and verified that I have the latest driver. Not sure what else to try…

I’ve seen something on the forums about installed “FTDI Driver” but I’m not sure what that is for and it is not mentioned at all in any of the setup instructions.

I’m waiting on a reply from Tech support but wondering if anyone else in the community has encountered and solved this. I could seem to find anything in the forums that solved this issue, but I am new to this.

Did you install x controller drivers from easel help menu? Sorry I am assuming youre using x controller. Thats what mine needed. I believe ftdi is for future technology device.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your response. I figured out a solution that worked for me yesterday and got my first carves started! Not sure if I missed something in the instructions but below is what worked for me in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I was trying to connect to the X-Controller but it seemed like there was something wrong with the USB driver.

I used the Easel menu to try to install the driver through the Carve… menu and also tried the Machine>Setup Machine buttons but Easel still had trouble finding the X-Controller.

The X-Carve assembly instructions took me to this link to download the Easel driver which I assumed also setup the X-Controller driver. I never found anything specifically labeled an X-Controller Driver.
https://easel.inventables.com/downloads

The solution that worked for me was to downloaded the FTDI driver, which seems to convert the USB to a COM port that Easel software can identify. I saw there was an option to manual select a COM port but as my device manager showed there was nothing listed under COM ports.

I found a broken link on the forums here for the FTDI driver, so after doing a Google search I found this updated link and downloaded the setup exe for Windows.

I followed the setup instructions here and was able to to get it my machine up and running pretty quickly.

For me I just needed to update the driver of the USB Serial Cable as shown in figure 3.11 of the install guide and then Easel was able to find my controller.
Now the controller shows up as a USB Serial Port under Ports in Device Manager and connects to Easel.

Congrats and happy carving…

I have the same issue, but the drivers continuously fail to install. I have the x-controller and win10 Home. I’ve restarted, deleted hidden devices, manually selected driver, FTDI exe install, changed to a short USB cable… I remember all these same issue the first time I setup this controller on my last PC. PITA

The solution that worked for me was to downloaded the FTDI driver, which seems to convert the USB to a COM port that Easel software can identify. I saw there was an option to manual select a COM port but as my device manager showed there was nothing listed under COM ports.

Thanks! This worked perfectly to get my x-carve up and running.