Cannot get my X-Carve started!

So a little update. I got the machine running and recognized by the computer, even worked when clicking the arrows to check the axis’ responses. So I built a little work station in the garage, moved the computer, keeping all the same plugs where they were, not it won’t connect. I go to Easel, it says to tell it which COM it is (COM7), then I just get a busy sign. Never connects. It did once, but the axis’ were unresponsive when clicking. But, for the most parts it won’t connect. The arduino shows up in the devices and it is set to 115200. I only looked briefly on other threads about connection issues, so maybe I just need to do a little more digging.

One a plus side, most of the mobile station is done. I will be putting in drawers, shelves and a system for mounting the monitor and computer later on. I have the smaller size, but built it to fit the 1000mm kit. that way, when I upgrade, I don’t have to build another one. It’s on casters so I can move it about the garage when I need more space or to clean up.

Charles Stevenson:
I too am trying to use BobCad. I just finally got my X-Carve working kinda today with Easel. I think I have the same problem mentioned earlier about plugging in the X-Carve. I have really been fighting this G-Code problem that the Arduino can not read certain G-Code. Easel is so limited you can not even draw a line it seems. If you get something working in BobCad can you PLEASE send a message to me directly at wolfeg@comcast.net. Trying to find it here is like finding a needle in a haystack if you know what I mean. If I figure out BobCad I will let you know but I bet you have the answer before I do. I Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I hit reply way up in the conversation but here it is at the bottom. Go figure.

Try unplugging the CNC and boot up computer. Then turn on power to CNC, then connect to computer and see if that works. Looks good.

no, connected fine just now, but will not respond to the arrows to test the axis movements

and now back to connection problems…

GaryWolfe,

They made a custom post-processor for me. I’ve attached it here. Extract into C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V28\Posts\Mill and choose the generic BC_3x_Mill machine and then change the post-processor to the XCarve.MillPst post-processor file.

It seems to be working thusfar. I need to try drilling again. :smile:

XCarve.zip (6.4 KB)

@NicShimala

Ok, let’s start over.

Are you running Windows 10 on the new computer?

Turn the computer off and back on.

Do you see the Arduino in the device manager? Leave the Device Manager open and unplug the Arduino USB cable. The port should go away. Plug the Arduino USB cable back in. Does the Arduino port come back?

I just disable EaselLocal in Services until I need to run Easel and then start the service manually.

Windows 8.1 on the new one. The Arduino is in the device manager, when I did as you suggested, the Z-axis went crazy and developed a mind of its own and tried to bottom out on the waste board. That was new.

That’s really strange. What was the sequence of events? What did you do just prior to the Z axis going crazy?

turn on computer (with USB already plugged in)
checked devices for Arduino
opened inventables website
easel
machine set up
confirmed settings
turned on power supply on x-carve
z-axis got possessed

hasn’t happened again, but I didn’t know if that was a clue worth mentioning in getting this running.

Your Z axis problem was probably a procedural problem.

By running Easel with the motor power off you most likely got grbl and the X-carve out of sync. That’s most likely the cause of your Z axis glitch.

Best practice would be to have the USB plugged in at startup, or plug the USB cable in first and then turn on the 24 volt supply before running any software that accesses the Arduino.

Check to see if the gShield is firmly plugged into the Arduino. When you moved your machine, if the stepper motor wires are not tied down they can lift the gShield up enough to cause problems.

On my machine I placed plastic spacers in the corners of the enclosure to hold the gShield down when the case cover is attached.

Good tip. I will check that when I get home. It was reactive once while in the house, then these issues came about when I moved the equipment to the garage, that might have wiggled something loose.

Would turning everything on before running any software get rid of the connection issues?

Not likely, however, if the gShield is loose that could cause the connectivity issue.

True, but I was having a slight connectivity issue before moving the machine.

Ok, one point that may have fallen through the crack is that you can only have one program connected to the Arduino at a time. Either Easel, UGCS, or the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor but not two or more of them.

If you get in a state where, say Easel, locks up the port then you are hosed until you can clear the port so that something else can use it.

If you think you are getting into that situation you can do a couple of things. The easiest is to turn the computer off and back on. Another is that you can disable and then re-enable the COM port.

I think the best approach would be to pick one situation and stick with it until we can get your machine working reliably and then branch out to the other programs.

I would not recommend using Easel for this purpose, not because there is anything wrong with Easel, but because it is not as revealing of what is going on as some of the other options. It’s main purpose is to make things easier for the user which means that some times you can’t see or do what needs to be done in a debug situation.

Two choices I would recommend are the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor (has some advantage over UGCS for some problems) and UGCS (has some advantages over the Serial Monitor for some problems).

For what is going on with your machine I would recommend UGCS (version 1.0.9) as the choice for debugging your machine at this time.

as far as I know, I have only used Easel to do an initial set up of the machine. Just to link the x-carve and the computer and to check the axis’ responses.

Are you running Easel Local version 0.2.3 or 0.2.2 on the Windows 8.1 machine?

0.2.2 from the link that was provided on here earlier