Can't calibrate

I don’t think I have a controller. I just plug it into my computer and it is good to go.

I the reason I need a fourth axis is because one side is being pulled more than the other side.

What exactly are you plugging into the computer?

The cord that connects to the grbl board. I am having a bigger problem though. The machine can only do one pass before it veers way off course. For example if I set it to .25 inches per pass it would do .25 and then go way off course.

The GRBL board is your controller.

If it veers of course its because the torque available is insufficient and the stepper stalls (it will make a grinding noise during stalling)

1/4" depth per pass sounds like a lot and most likely overload the steppers.
You must to start with something much shallower like 1/32" amd increase as confidence grows.

You are really not giving us much to go on, no machine details, no bit information, no RPM/feed rate values etc. Your step/mm values indicate a very high microstep setting which will make the machine weaker.

I think you have several things going on which we need to deal with one at the time.
First of all, do the travel match the commanded travel? 4" command = 4" travel?

I was only going that deep because it was cardboard that I was testing on. Yes I did finally get it almost all the way calibrated but it still needs some tweaking.

I did figure it out I though but thank you for replying.

This may help (something I posted a couple of years back):

Hi, calculating the correct stepper motor values isn’t hugely complex but it can be tiresome so to ease the process a little I thought it might be useful to create an online calculator to make the calculation part quicker and less taxing. Here’s a link:

Stepper Motor Calibration Calculator

1 Like