Can't connect to X-carve

So I ordered an X-carve an embarrassing amount of time ago. 2015, in fact. And I’m JUST NOW setting it up.

Anyway, I found my original order sheet.

X-Carve 1000mm Rail Kit
X-Carve ACME Lead Screw Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Waste Board Kit
X-Carve NEMA 23 Stepper Motor Kit
X-Carve 300W 24VDC Spindle Kit
X-Carve Arduino/gShield Motion Controller Kit
X-Carve Power Supply Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Wiring Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Drag Chain Kit
X-Carve Limit Switch Kit
X-Carve Tool Kit
X-Carve Clamp Set
X-Carve End Mill Starter Set

So I’ve gone back to the old instructions on the website. I go to machine configuration and I enter the proper settings, but it sits there unable to connect. FWIW, I’m using a very recent MacBook that only has USB-C ports along with a USB adapter. That part seems to be working, because I figured I probably needed to update the firmware on the Arduino. I found the instructions for that and upgraded Grbl to 1.1g. I verified this in the Arduino IDE by connecting the Serial Monitor to the Arduino at 115200 baud. I got the prompt from Grbl saying it was version 1.1g and I can ask it for help. I don’t know enough gcode to make it move, but I’m guessing that would work.

But nothing in Easel can seem to talk to it. Any ideas here? The machine config won’t connect, and if I just go to Easel and try to jog it says it can’t find a device. Help?

–Donnie

I went and learned some gcode. I was right, in the serial monitor of the Arduino IDE, I can make my X-Carve move.

–Donnie

I’ve tried plugging and unplugging the USB port as well as making sure the Arduino IDE was exited so that nothing else was holding the port.

–Donnie

Oh, and I do have EaselDriver 0.3.14 installed.

–Donnie

I’m not a Mac user, so I can’t really help at all. But during my initial setup, I had to tell my Windows PC which com port to use. Anything like that for Mac? It was a one-time thing when I just finished the build.

If you download the Universal Gcode sender, you can send single lines of gcode through the command tab. I use an earlier classic and stable version and it works quite well with my x controller. I also used UGS with the earlier Shapeoko2 Arduino and hardware that came with it. I’m not sure how it reacts with mac though.

I want to use Easel, though. That’s what won’t work.

—Donnie

On the Mac the Easel setup seems to think it can find it, but that appears to be what isn’t working.

—Donnie

///Which version of Mac OS are you using?

///https://inventables.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012674674

Nevermind. I just saw in the middle of your post that you’re on a new-ish MacBook, so it’s probably up to date.

Have you tried turning off any plugins on your browser? For that matter, which browser are you using? Have you tried more than one? I can’t use Firefox but Chrome works fine for me.

Dang, didn’t think to try a different browser and yes, I was using Firefox. Will try that later today. Thanks!

—Donnie

I’m so conflicted… I want this problem to be resolved so you can get to enjoying your XCarve, but at the same time, after all you’ve done to try to fix it, I hope it isn’t something as simple as a different browser! That would be a bit annoying. :confused: But if it gets fixed, I guess that’s the important thing. :slight_smile:

Alright, it wasn’t that easy. I got email back from support with many suggestions, but the one that worked was deleting /Library/Easel and reinstalling the Easel Driver. I had installed it SEVERAL times already, but wasn’t deleting it first. It works fine in Firefox now, too.

BUT now I have a new problem. I have the ACME lead screw, but it really looks like the machined step-down for where the lead screw goes through the bearing at the top is NOT machined on-center. It’s off. And it’s causing binding at certain parts of the rotation that halts the motor. Just stepping with the test mode during setup will sometimes spin freely, sometimes bind and not move as much as it should. I can see it “wobble” as it spins on the rotations where it does spin freely. So I’m 99% sure I need a new lead screw. sigh

–Donnie

1 Like

Some searching appears to yield that there were some bent or improperly machined lead screws sent out in 2015 and 2016, but Inventables replaced them. Hopefully they take care of me, but given how long it’s been I might have to buy a new one. We’ll see what they say. It didn’t get bent/machined wrong from sitting here all this time, I know that.

–Donnie

We bought our XCarve in 2016 and got one of the bent lead screws. We also didn’t assemble ours immediately (though we didn’t wait quite as long as you!), but Inventables seemed happy to replace ours. It arrived pretty quickly, too, considering we’re in the UK.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t give them a chance. I went to the shop and found the dust collection kit and since I wanted that anyway, I decided to just throw the lead screw on the order. I let support know after I had sort of asked for one that I ordered one and they went ahead and gave me a gift card for the $32.

FedEx Home is saying Monday delivery, too, as they got it out today. That would be awesome, but it’s highly unlikely…I live in a rural area and FedEx Home is terrible. It’s pretty normal for it to make it on the truck and then never get a delivery attempt for a couple more days. sigh But it’ll work out.

–Donnie

1 Like

Oh and I should say THANKS to Inventables support. They didn’t need to give me anything, but they did and I appreciate it.

–Donnie

3 Likes

Nothing to be embarrassed about, life happens.

1 Like

I had x carve connection issues on my MacBook… turned out it was my Wacom drivers that was a problem. Not sure if you’ve resolved this, or even if you have a Wacom tablet but after scratching my head for too long this was the issue. No Mac issues at all since i removed it.

@DonaldBarnes1 here’s a link to my previous post if it’s useful:

Mac now won't connect to Upgraded X-controller - #12 by MarkBreakspear

Sorry, seems like you’d already solved it! I should have read the whole lot.