Can't get commands to work for JTech laser

Not an ideal solution, but you could install a manual push button switch for the missing Z switch to enable homing.
HNY.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @JohnChamplain. I’m actually looking for the opposite of that. I have switches on all the axis. I was hoping to be able to just home the X & Y. 95% of what I do is on 3/4” material. So I’m looking to not have to refocused the laser every time I home the machine.

1 Like

OK, sorry for misunderstanding. Jeff Woodcock and I just set our lasers at about 3 inches above the work surface, and never have to refocus. I use a block of wood cut to 3 inches and use it as a vertical Z “bump” stop for the laser (my laser height is manually set).

3 Likes

Hey Bob, it’s not critical, but I just use the bottom of the heat sink so as to not touch the lens.

1 Like

Thank you @JohnChamplain. I’m looking for the most efficient work flow. This sounds like the best option.

1 Like

Happy New Year, Curtis, and All.

2 Likes

I know you’ll wonder why you never got one sooner.
Happy New Year.
John

With no cure. :wink:

1 Like

Hey Larry, currently running into the same problem however im not sure I want to mess with switching out the grbl version. Is there any other options?

What version of grbl are you running (you can check with the $I command).

1.1f

I’ve talked to Jay at Jtech and he has said that it’s the right version.

I have my setting set to
$30=255
$31=0
$32=1

I am not getting any response out of the laser when it’s on TTL and when I check the Spindle(PWM) and Grnd with a volt meter it only get 0.03v when I send M3 S255

@BrianAustin

That’s like asking a Ford dealer if Ford is the best truck.

I have a version of grbl based off of Inventables 1.0c that supports the laser with standard G-code usage.

grbl 1.1f has modified several G-code commands for working with a laser that are not standard usage.

What you would give up using my version is the ability to change spindle speed and feed rate “on the fly”.

If you really want to run 1.1f then you have to follow a different set of rules when using the laser. Some programs have been modified to deal with the differences, some have not.

Link to 1.1f laser rules.

I do not recommend 1.1f for laser work. For the spindle. it’s fine.

1 Like