Cant get this to work

Did you upgrade the firmware, though. If it came with resources, try reflashing those. Otherwise I’d stick with 0.9 until you know the hardware.

Interesting thread to read: Stock Controller Card Connection

Lots of information about the Woodpecker board in this thread. There were several more that I didn’t read.

I just googled “woodpecker 3.2A” and found several results. One thing I did read is that someone lowered thier baud rate to 57600 and that helped with Xloader.

Good luck with your project.

Yes i was able to reflash the 0.9j GRBL and worked on the 57600 baud rate. last night, due to the 24hr so many comments just now able to post again

hey i got it to work. in the serial monitor it was responding. i have tried just cutting some acrylic, its all messed up. the bits and such are right but the design i did was just text. It was 7inch wide x 3inch long. It has cut maybe 1.5inch wide and 1inch long? im not sure what im needing to do. the axies were a little messed but with the step by step with questions it fixed it on the “yes” “no” options but this size proportions that was ment to be cut are no where close

As your controller is GRBL-driven, you need to recalibrate the step/mm values defined in $100/$101/$102.
These parameters tell how many steps your stepper motor need to do per mm, these are apparently wrong.

Google or search here, “how to reclibrate step/mm GRBL” and you should find good resources :slight_smile:

1 Like

well how i set X was put a tape down and messured with movement from 30mill to 230mm and is bang on. Before X=250 now X=645. the downside is that if im setting X for only 75mm down the frame. its out like 6mm… is there more to this?

So i think i got this right.

Screenshot_9

These im unsure about. watched some youtube but unsure still. also looked thru google found out what there are, i think?

Screenshot_10

Do these others matter much? cheers

Not if you don’t have switches.
Everything is explained pretty well here.
I’m concerned about your machine being 6mm off in a 75mm, though.

Xcarve, but applies to any GRBL machine too:

No i dont have any limit switches on it. Theres a plug on board to add some. Will one day get some.

So if i have no switches at all. The soft limit is useless due to the homing not connecting to switches?

Correct. Soft limits requires homing to be enabled.

@HaldorLonningdal, my concern was that he stated he was good over a 200mm distance but 6mm off on the 75mm. That’s significant.

1 Like

also i just decided to cut something to see if these settings were working. well on the run through of settings. lower blade , turn spindle on etc. i set the very bottem corner of where it should be. My project with just a bit of text. (material is 0.080inch) bit set to 1/8 depth of text set to 0.010inch and when it goes to cut it the machine cuts at the very bottem corner. i have the material design set for center. This is such a mess. ive watched tons of tutorials / google searched tons. put a good chunk of change down for this thing for a diy machine. im lost

I suggest you shoot a video of your work flow, setup of stock and initating the carve, post it on youtube or something :slight_smile:

@NeilFerreri1, Indeed. Yeah I know - I posted that video to provide visual clues to the process just in case something obvious was skipped.

2 Likes

I have noticed that its still grinding also. ive set this and still does the same. if i start out in the center its fine

Procedure looks good, machine moving…not so much… :frowning:
As to why I don’t really have much to offer as I haven’t seen that error message (Easel) myself.

1 Like

This is a good point. Your machine needs to be calibrated properly. Not only in the distance expected to travel, but at a feed rate that is efficient.

To me, the grinding noise is caused by improper feed rates. However, you can’t rule out an “out of square” machine. Your X axis rods could be bent (slightly), or not “true” and you might not notice it visibly. However, the machine will respond with a symptom such as the grinding.

Assuming this was a kit you put together, or even if it came assembled, have you slid the x axis the length of the rails to see if it is binding. This would be without the drive screw connected. If you have and determined everything slides smoothly and without problems start diagnosing your feed rates.

While there is a lot of information out there, here is an article I came across that explains the process. Note: your speeds might be lower starting out.

How to set your GRBL feed rate

Are you running your projects at the recommended speed rate determined by Easel? If so, you could simply test this by lowering well below it. Say 10 IPM and see how that responds.

I have a kit CNC I purchased quite a long time ago with a proprietary controller board. When adapting it to LinuxCNC I had similar grinding noises. The max feed rate was 12IPM. Some might consider this really slow and I would agree. However, I was able to educate myself and graduate to and X-Carve :slight_smile:

Good luck. Sounds like you are learning a lot.

Thank you very much for the detailed messge. Ill go over a few points and continue on with rest of your points.
I have taken the motors off and checked square, its bang on to the nearest mm. i may need to get a calibration spacing tool, to be exact. All Axies move on correct smoothness, the grinding is coming from over extended movements, like you said for these equations that need to be set im guessing:
$100=(x, step/mm)
$101= (y, step/mm)
$102= (z, step/mm)
$110= (x max rate, mm/min)
$111= (y max rate, mm/min)
$112= (z max rate, mm/min)
$120= (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121= (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=(z accel, mm/sec^2)
The thing is even when i set “this is home” it still wants to keep going beyond what its set at. The:
$130=(x max travel, mm)
$131= (y max travel, mm)
$132= (z max travel,mm)
It still wants to travel beyond that, im not sure how far it wants to go. i tried a little test by going half way up the center of machine. it pretty much went down to the bottom and started cutting it. Ive spent far to many hours trying to figure this out. So much to learn, I also set the depth / Max rate plunged on Easel and still no difference really. Ill go over all these values and see what i can find out. Thanks for the awesome message, ill tripple read it and im sure ill get it figured out. I put a post out today on facebook for a machinist to fix it lol cheers

You are welcome. There are some really helpful and friendly people here. I might be way off on my assumption, but at least you are verifying the squareness of the cnc. This in itself will cause a lot of grief if not correct :smile:

This sounds like a calibration issue. You certainly want it to travel the distance you set.

I’m confident you will get your cnc dialed in and create some amazing things. Keep it up, and don’t get frustrated. You will gain beneficial knowledge. Knowing why and how something works is a benefit over just knowing it works. That is why I hear new X-Carvers asking for build assistance often being told how much additional benefit it is to accomplish as much as they can on their own. (Well, they are encouraged to do it all, but that doesn’t sound as friendly as it is meant to be taken)

My first kit was without a forum to call on and not many units were out in the “wild.” I had to do a lot of troubleshooting. Actually, many hours of it before I was even able to carve. But, I kept going and had a lot of fun while I was at it.

1 Like

I didn’t realize you’re using Easel to send…have you tried a different sender?

Can you post your GRBL settings again? As they are now…have they changed from your earlier post?

1 Like

thanks for all your info also! yeah i have been using Easel to send, thats the only thing ive been trying on, I have not tried a another sender, i have a few programs to design in and such. i google searched and Easel was the top one (gotta be there for a reason right? lol) so i have changed my settings some. i feel im getting closer but not quite. my settings are as follows:
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=0 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=7 (dir port invert mask:00000111)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.010 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=500.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=645.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=555.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$110=500.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=500.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=10.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=10.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=10.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=290.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=290.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=80.000 (z max travel, mm)

I also Zero’ed XYZ and ran side to side. does this look right?
Screenshot_11

And to top it off just downloaded Universal G-Code Sender. This thing is way better! No clue it even existed lol

They give yeah pretty much nothing when shipping these things. Instructions not even in english. for most of this need a collage degree lol