Carry It or Bury It™: Z-Cover and Manual Knob

Well, since I’m gonna have a M8 (once it gets here), I’d vote for that as an option.

Possibly make the hole larger then offer three caps:

1. one solid one
  2. one with an inset hole to accommodate the M8 rod
  3. one with an inset hole to accommodate the ACME rod

I’d like the hole option, but I voted for clean seeing as I already use the digital controls to move the Z, but a hole with a plug wouldn’t be too bad and does give the option for later upgrades.

1 Like

Plug option would be great. I don’t necessarily see the (personal) demand for the knob today, but man I’d hate to have to buy a completely separate project for one with a hole if it turns out I want one later.

I don’t have my X-carve yet, so I don’t know which side of this I will land on, but either way I second @AlanDyke. One with a plug allows you to cover those who want a knob and those that don’t, all in one shot. It just makes sense.

Thanks to everyone that voted. It looks like we have a clear winner: Z-Cover with knob and a plug! I’ll send a new drawing out and get this product on order.

4 Likes

Just for clarification: Will the final design support both M8 and ACME rods?

2 Likes

Having worked with systems where you “shouldn’t” need internal access to the system and having to constantly open said systems up for access, this really should have the knob option.

For those who voted for the no knob option, have you at any time needed to grab the pulley to adjust Z height (sometimes I do this with power off to get my home position)? If the answer is yes, you are likely to be disassembling the system on a not infrequent basis to gain access.

1 Like

I don’t like the knob on top. It looks tacky and out of place. Why not a momentary switch that controls the Z axis? Move switch up to move the spindle up. Push it down and the spindle moves down using the stepper motor itself.

Also, wont the motor be difficult to turn when there is power applied? Would it mean that the machine will have to be fully shut down to move the Z axis? A limit switch can be used for homing.

@OlegDzundza an electric switch negates the purpose, for that you have control in Easel, UGS or ChiliPepper. You need the knob for intricate turns to raise or lower it a hair.
See link Z-Cover w/ Knob for video in action

You can not control a stepper motor with a simple switch the way you can control a DC motor with a double pole double through switch. You have to go through software and the stepper driver. That is what jog controls are for on you control software…
A knob on top of the Z axis lead screw can only be used when there is no power to the steppers.

Dave

This kind-of leads to my big idea to kill the z while keeping everything else up.

I do not think there is enough thread on top of my ACME rod to attach a knob. Does everyone else have enough thread exposed?

You have to take nut off, knob have thread as well. You don’t need it. That’s what I did.

So the knob takes the place of the nut, that makes sense.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not going all the way down, seems like short thread. I used couple of flat washers. After using this knob, I can’t make without it. So easy to go up and down after shut e-switch off.

If you look at or print the design I posted Z-Cover, you will see my design attaches to the nut, not the thread. Also a knob is never to raise or lower at great lengths it’s to move it a 10th or so of a millimeter to perfect your zero and yes if you really want to twist large amounts I advise shutting off the stepper.

2 Likes

Not a good idea. disconnecting the stepper from the stepper driver with it powered up can destroy you stepper driver. My Gecko G540 4 axis driver give a big warning to NOT disconnect with power on.

Dave

I didn’t say how to kill the Z. :wink:

Do you sell the z cover with knob?

Unfortunately I don’t as the costs outweigh the worth, But the stl files are there if you follow the link and can have a company like 3dhubs or shapeways etc to print it for you. The issue with 3d printing much like cncing is the time requirement of the job. But it’s a nifty upgrade and both keeps the belting clean and allows you to make those micro moves.