Carve a letter in a circle

Hi all,
I’m new to Easel and have made a few projects that came out good, but I’m having trouble with my latest one. I want to make a circle with a letter in the middle and attached to the inner rim. The only way I could figure out to do it was to do a screen capture and the paste it into Paint, then erase the overlapping cuts and save it as a JPG. I then took the JPG and opened it in Image Trace. It worked but I wasn’t happy with the results because Image Trace makes all the single lines into double lines and then I have to use a small bit and a Clear Out Pocket cut.
Is there a way to join a letter to a circle and is there a way to have Image Trace make the wide JPG lines come out as a single line? I will try to post a link to the project.

https://easel.inventables.com/projects/yN46vZ6zBGFHE3ILC_ywsg#

Thanks
Dave

1 Like

You can do it with two circles and a letter in Easel.

Here is your project with added workpieces showing each step.

1. Create two circles; one the diameter you wish the entire piece to be at some depth other than zero and the other the diameter you wish the inside of the piece to be at zero depth
  2. Combine the two circles to form a ring
  3. Add the letter wish to use in the font you want
  4. Resize the letter so that two or more edges are just touching the new ring that was created after combining the two circles
  5. Combine the ring and the letter
  6. Set the newly created object to full depth of cut and “Cut outside shape path”

You would end up with something like this.

Does that answer your question?

With respect to Image Trace, it depends on the image being traced as to what the output is. The double-line thing is something that happens quite often when tracing images that are output from certain other programs.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer, I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

Works perfect. The trick and what I was not doing is to make the inner circle a 0 depth before combining.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

You are very much welcome! I am glad to be able to help…

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.