Carve is an inch off

OK…I can’t figure this one out…

My carve is roughly an inch to the right. I have tried converting everything, reinstalling everything, etc…

I start the project where I want it, then it ends an inch to the right of where XY start was. All of my coding looks good, but I can’t figure out why!

Any help? Thanks

is this just one project? or multiple carve jobs?

If it’s just one, can you share that Easel project?
(the 2nd half of this video, copy the link shown and paste it up here) Simple Method - How To send a friend your Easel Project - YouTube
thanks

Did you have a chance to take a look…I still can’t figure it out.

Everything in the design is correct, it’s actually 0.04" left of center and 0.03" down of center…

Soo I would have to guess that either the X,Y Zeros aren’t being set correctly OR there’s an issue with the cnc’s calibration setting OR the material dimensions are not entered correctly… HOWEVER I suggest using the center as the Zero Origin in order to get centered carves. Here’s the new method of doing this. But you just take the workpiece mark an X where the center is (this can also be done with tape to not draw on the actual board) by using a straight edge from corner to corner diagonally… and then align the bit center to this X for setting X,Y zeros…

Ah! I’ve never done it that way - thanks for the video. I always start in the center on round projects and have done it the older way (set X,Y to 0,0 and the image is off the material). I didn’t even see that drop down existed.

I had it zeroed in the center but something with the coding changed during the carve because there is no reason it should end 1” to the right on the X axis only. Let me give this a shot and see. Thank you!!

1 Like

It’s a VERY new feature that went live the same day as the 3d stuff last month :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I got to use it for the first time cutting a window into a side of my new laser engraver enclosure. Two things about it:

1. It’s a wonderful feature for dealing with centered designs, even if you end up switching back to corner-based alignment at the end. Having 0,0 be the center of the board makes all other alignment and calculations so much simpler.

2. It very quickly falls apart if you do a bad job marking the center of your piece! :man_facepalming: I drew an X corner-to-corner on my piece, but was apparently off by a small amount, which magnified across the two lines, and shifted my entire cut over by a 1/2", ruining my piece. Luckily, it was a very easy piece to recut at this stage. I measured it using a tape measure the second time, instead of using crossing lines, and the cut came out perfect. Lesson learned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.