Carve open vector

how can I carve only the bottom and left side if a square?

1 Like

Check this tutorial on how to subtract from shapes in easel https://inventables.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2052887-aligning-and-combining-shapes?b_id=9562

Should have been more specific.
I wanted an On-Line Profile cut of an open vector.

Covering works fine.

Combining the same does not.

What I really want is to just do an on-path of this.
I moved the upper right corner of the square to the lower left corner.

It is possible, but you have to use the pen tool to draw the 3 points.

Minor touchups required in the overall shape size, but it’s acceptable.

Is your bit size larger than the width of the cut you are trying to make? I just did the combine in easel and it did not show as red “not being cut” but if I make the bit larger than the cut “the grey area” it will show red, as an 1/8 bit can not cut a 1/16 line. not sure but just asking. P.S. there is always a better way of doing things “like you show” just not sure why it is “red” for you.

bit size was 1/8. same offset as square. i can do a video tomorrow so you can tell me where I can improve

I am not sure I can tell you anything just passing on what I have done and seems to work for me.

Also when I tested what you wanted I set a 1/8 bit with a 1/2 line.

1/2 thick?

I made a square 6.5 inches by 6.5 inches with a zero depth square 6.5 by 6.5 inches offset by .5 inch on both sides which resulted when combined as a .5 or 1/2 line running up the Y axis and a .5 or 1/2 line running across the X axis. going to try the same with a 1/8 bit making a 1/8 lines

O.K. tried your cut with the 1/8 or “0,125” wide line and a 1/8 or “0.125” inch bit. same results as you, If you can make your line just .001 larger. offset by .126 instead of .125 it seems to solve this as well. thanks for letting me know where I was doing it different. P.S. it also shows only one pass per depth so it should be a single line cut.

hey thanks PhilJohnson, I forgot that the pen tool automatically changes weight when you change bit size. So you don’t even need to do anything but set your length of cut. got used to setting zero fill and then subtracting material from that.

shame it’s inconcistent between the 0.5 and 0.125 thickness.[quote=“PhilJohnson, post:12, topic:33136”]
Just use the pen tool to draw an L
[/quote]

That’s what I said in my post. I can adjust the size of the whole shape to get the right dimensions.
Do you know if there a way to precisely position a vertex?

It’s not really inconsistent, it just can not cut at or less than the bit diameter. so if you make the path 0.001 larger than the bit diameter it will show the cut. when you use the pen tool the cut width changes automatically with bit selection. when I tried what you stated in the original post I did not make the cut the same size as the bit diameter so mine never shown as (red) not being cut.

You’re right. It’s not. I just tried an offset of 0.5", with a 0.5" bit, and I get the same results as my 0.125" offset + bit combination.

I understand you’re saying you can adjust the shape with regard to it’s overall height/width.
The current radio button shows bottom left, which coincidentally is the vertex I’ve highlighted in green.

I want to adjust the position of the vertex I selected (colored blue), highlighted with red.

I don’t see a way to do that here.

You can just click it with the left mouse button and drag or you can specify width in the size box.

That moves ALL the points relative to that datum (the bottom right corner). It does not move one point at a time.

yes, you can specify width of the entire box. I’m not arguing that. I want X,Y control over each point, independent of the dimensions of the shape.