Carvey Bits

I’m trying to mill a 2 inch piece of wood, but need to mill 1.5 - 2 inches deep total. My deepest bit current is 1 inches. I’m new to CNC and am having trouble figuring out what I need.

Anyone here know where to get a bit that can cut 1.5 - 2 inches deep for the Carvey?

Just to consolidate, I’m also looking for a bit that can clear pockets big and fast (bigger than 1/8inch). Anyone have recommendations for that as well? Depth isn’t an issue on this one.

@DavidGaworski
You’ll want to look for extended reach or long reach .125 end mills. These will be easier to break and will show more deflection, though.
Another option would be to get a 1/4" cooler for the spindle… That will give you more options. You’ll be limited by the little spindle’s power.

1 Like

I was looking at long reach .125 end mills but became confused when it would state the cut lenght was 1.5 inches, but the total length was 1.5 as well.

I was hoping to get a link to a product so I don’t order something due to misinformation on my part. I’m so use to order through Amazon and having hassle free return, but you don’t always get that in the tool world. Any help on where to order and which product would be helpful.

The community has some notes on various long reach endmills at: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

2 Likes

Thanks you two. I got a collet adapter from inventables and one of the Amazon long mills in the shaoeoko link.

1 Like