Hi, we’re having a few issues with our Carvey that we just got a few months back. We haven’t used it very often (still in the learning process), so I don’t think these are due to overuse or parts wearing out.
The most dramatic problem is that the machine is cutting wildly off path when using the recommended settings for cutting 3/4" hard maple with the 1/8" straight bit. The recommended settings from Easel are 72 ipm feed rate, 9 ipm plunge rate, and 0.03 depth per pass. After this failed multiple times, I tried using the 1/8" spiral upcut bit (same file and material) and noticed Easel recommends a much slower feed rate (24 ipm) in this case. That cut completed successfully. Therefore, I also tried going back to the 1/8" straight bit but using a slower feed rate; at 48 ipm, it still went way off path, but 24 ipm worked. Here’s a picture of what happened with the recommended settings:
I had previously cut 3/4" maple with the 1/8" straight bit without incident. However, this was 2 driver updates ago. Could the recommended settings in Easel have changed for this combo or something been set differently in the driver? I read another post with a similar problem, but I don’t think there is debris blocking the rails, since it can cut, just much slower.
Another issue is with the depth of cut. After doing some tests, it seems the first plunge goes into the material about twice as deep as the nominal depth per pass (or about 0.03"). I can get the right depth by subtracting this amount and telling Easel to cut that far. Or, if I’m trying to go through the piece entirely, I have had some luck telling Easel that the material is about that much thinner. Otherwise, it starts cutting into the waste board pretty far (and I think wore a bit out super fast because of the difference in material). So I can kind of work around this, but other people will also be using the machine as we’re trying to teach classes, so it would be better if it would simply cut as it should so I don’t have to warn every new user about it’s quirks.
We’re also having some issues with dimensional accuracy on fill cuts and seemingly “overshooting” corners (see picture below), but I haven’t had time to test that with a variety of materials and bits, so I’m trying to solve these other problems first!
Thank you for your help!