Carvey's X-axis - homing

Carvey worked fine last night. Tonight I tried a carve and it won’t home. Y seems to work ok, but X-axis moves to far left corner and it appears not to trip the switch. Carriage just keeps “thumping”, like it’s trying to move, but can’t. I assume the belt is moving but the carriage is all the way to the left.

I don’t see anything on Carvey X-axis homing issues in the manual or in messages. Will try tomorrow to see if customer service can help, but thought I’d ask here to see if I’m missing something or if anyone has a solution.

thanks!

Hello George,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I hope it gets sorted out for you as I know how much you enjoy working with your Carvey.

OK, it was a PICNIC error.
I went through everything from scratch and found that a hold-down clamp slightly overhung the back of the platform. Kept the machine from zero-ing. head slap.

1 Like

Problem in Chair, not in computer (or in this case, Carvey)

2 Likes

I see this post is old but my 4 week old Carvey is doing this same thing. I have tried everything. I took the waste board, table and center floor out (no clamps to be found) and it still THUMPS as if the switch is not triggering. I am at a loss. I have seen some good reviews on this forum about customer service. My requests seem to go unanswered unless I pester constantly… :frowning:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thanks

I have this same issue. When I go on machine inspector and home, though the spindle moves it doesn’t trigger the switch and the green light isn’t lit. This doesn’t seem to be an issue for the y axis, not sure about the z. What should I do? We just got this machine.

Is it a Carvey or X-Carve? Regardless, the Z should move up first when homing. Might you have switched the wiring for X and Z?

Thanks for replying so fast. It’s carvey, and I haven’t seen it move that much in the z when homing initially, but the nut on top of the spindle is turning. I didn’t set up the machine, but where would I check the wiring?

Don’t…Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to home the machine?

The Carvey shouldn’t need to be wired by a user. I thought, based on what you described, that you had an X-Carve.

That’s what I thought, but maybe something got bumped loose during transit. When carvey tries to home the wasteboard moves back, and you can hear the y homing switch click, then the carriage moves to the left, and it keeps thumping into the side. It’s the same issue as GeorgeSholl describes, but like ChrisTaylor there is no obstruction. After thumping a bit the error message pops up. I can’t really tell if it moves at all in the z direction at all. I can take a video tomorrow if that would help.

Also as far as I know no one has used it at all, it’s brand new.

When it’s off, turn the nut on top of the Z by hand to lower the spindle. It’s probably on the switch.

The X-axis switch is behind the “wall” the rails are mounted to, about 100mm from the left of the machine. Try pressing it by hand and see if it shows as triggered in the machine inspector.

The spindle did lower, though when I tried to home it afterwards it made a new grinding noise. Pushing the switch by hand does trigger it in the machine inspector, as does pushing the z switch.

It looks like the issue is that the carriage does not trigger the switch, because when I move the whole thing by hand, it doesn’t depress it far enough. Maybe I can add some material to the back so that it will, or is that unadvisable?

Mine triggers the switch when the top part of the carriage is about 0.9" from the left of the machine.
How far are you able to move yours?

lol-- just found a plastic piece that was preventing the carriage from moving farther along! It was only just stopping the carriage short of the switch, but now it works.

Thanks so much for all your help!

1 Like

Well, I started this thread about 3 1/2 years ago. Got it again. This time I made sure there wasn’t a stray hold-down causing the problem.

The machine won’t home on x and keeps bumping the side until it gives up and issues an error. Based on some of the above help, I reached behind the wall behind the lower rail and felt/found the limit switch. Probably violating all sorts of safety standards, I pushed the head all the way to the right and hit “carve”. I reached inside and manually triggered the left limit switch and sure enough, the head responded and started the z-axis homing. It looks like the head is not triggering the limit switch?

Anyone have an idea? I guess my next move is to start dismantling the head to see if something fell out or is bent. Of course it happens during the weekend so I can’t call support (and I’m not even sure they’ll answer Carvey questions anymore.)

There’s not much on the carriage that would cause an issue. I forget how the X switch is connected, and the Carvey is covered at the school. It could be that something is obstructing the motion? Can you move the X by hand to activate the switch? Use a mirror or a selfie mode on a phone to look at the switch…can it be adjusted?

I’m going to hunt down a mirror to see if I can see what’s happening. By manually reaching back to the limit switch, I’m able to fool it and have it begin to “carve”, of course well to the right of where it should be. It really seems like whatever is supposed to trigger the switch isn’t doing its job. This is assuming that there is something in the carriage that does trigger the left-limit on x.

I’ve tried to move the carriage without power and try to hear the “click” of the switch, but even though it seems like every so often, I do hear a click, most times not. Forcing the carriage by hand after it starts bumping the left side doesn’t trigger it. It doesn’t seem like there is anything obstructing the head, it moves freely from left stop to right stop. I also pulled the back panel and the belt and whole area looks clear. Same for underneath, but don’t think that would bother the x-axis anyway.

The carriage, from memory, is just a box. I had the whole thing apart a while ago (tracking down a Z axis issue), but I don’t remember what part of it hits the switch. The switch location MIGHT be adjustable. I always used the camera on my cell phone to check it.