Carving inside a tray

Hi Everyone, I’m a complete newbie to both carving and easel and have been maneuvering my way through some projects. However, I ran into the following problem and could use some advice. I would like to engrave inside a tray that has at least a 1 inch vertical lip on all sides. When I’ve tried to run my machine for the carve, the z probe drops down to the desired position while in the bottom left corner (homing position) and then proceeds to move and cut through the tray in order to get to the part of the material to begin carving. This ruins my tray as there is a cut through the side vertical lip of the tray. How do I setup my machine so the z probe doesn’t drop down outside of the tray and proceed to cut through the side wall as it goes to its location to begin cutting. Thanks for any and all advice!

1 Like

In Easel, go to Machine and the General settings. I think you want to set the Origin Safety Height so that it is higher than the edge of your dish.

1 Like

You could also set your engraving up to carve from the center. If you zero in the center of the pocket the bit should never come out.

3 Likes

This shows how i usually do engraved trays, using center point for xy 0,0 like Wayne suggested :+1::+1:… However some shapes require changing the safety height as it sometimes tries to cross from ear to ear on cereal designs, so watch out for that issue…

You guys are awesome! Thank you all for your advice!!

2 Likes

Thank you so very much! I appreciate all your help!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.