Carving Problem with Stencil Film

I am attempting to carve a sign with several colors without having to hand paint it. I am using Frisco Craft Blue Stencil Vinyl Roll on wood after I paint it then carve the sign. The problem I am having is the vinyl is coming off during the carve defeating the purpose of using it. It stays on in most areas but is coming off in other areas. So my question is what bit do you use for your carves when you use this or a similar product? I used a strait bit the first time and that was that was really bad. I used a down cut bit the second carve and had a little more success, but not 100%. Does the entire sign need to be done with a V bit?

Thanks in advance

Hey Shane, great question. So I’ve used Oramask a ton in the past which is really similar to the Frisco Craft Blue Stencil. I’ve found that I can get peeling for a bunch of different reasons but what has helped is to do a 2 part cut, upcut for the main clearing of material and then V-carve for clean up. I’ve also heard people applying shellac before masking the surface to help it stick.

1 Like

I run my detail pass (V-bit first) it makes a world of difference. I use the Amana carbide bits

2 Likes

After Steve made a comment in a past post of running the detail pass first I started doing that and have had much better success. I never would have thought about doing it that way if Steve had not mentioned it, which is why this forum is so helpful.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I will try these things on my next carve today. I really appreciate it!

I really need to a make a video on this showing it both ways, great idea to run it the detail first so you get a nice clean cut on the mask before you clear everything else out!

1 Like

Oramask user here… Had the Oramask peel in some areas on occasion as well. I have found cleaning the surface of the wood (deep scrub with a rag and some glass cleaner), to remove finger prints/handling and any left over dust stuff actually helps as well.

2 Likes