Centering issues?

Since we are dealing with vectors vs raster images a text object is only a “object”
A letter may require less or more “realestate” so the object dimensions need to account for that. So the first and last letter may not actually coincide with left/right object boundary.

This is not an Easel thing, all vector/design programs I have used act the same.

As Neil suggest, exploding the letters into individual objects will help as the extra room around the letters are removed during the explode operation.

I havent used Easel “center” function myself so I dont have much to share there unfortunately.

1 Like

Using the X-p[oder app worked just like Neil said. I just never noticed the text hanging out of the box before.

2 Likes

Well, I did a little project carving 5.69" x 5.69". Stopped it early because I used the 1/32 inch bit cutting pine. Slow and was taking a while at 15"/min. LOL Anyway, it was a test. After doing some measurements, it looks like I am going to need to do some calibrating. The wood was not planed good either so, I will have to add checking plane before carving. Next time.

The project is not far of though. A lot closer than the big round piece.

Speaking of font overhang, look at this font I used. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just noticed something. I have a 1000 x 1000 x-carve. The default work space is set as 790mm x 790mm. Shouldn’t the default workspace be 750mm x 750mm? I changed the default to 750mm x 750mm but, when I look at the workspace with UGS it still says 790mm x 790mm. Anyone know anything about this?

The material size is the dotted line, so the project is centered. Ignore the white area.

Well heres a new one… Besides the fact that I am still having the centering issues… the latest cut I did, was half way through and the I noticed the bit wasn’t even cutting the wood… It was following the design but had raised up a touch and want even cutting…
So now I am wondering, What’s the life span of the stepper motors? Can they be going out? Is my router going out? hmmm

First thing I would check (and double check) would be the wires for the Z-stepper.
Stepper motors have very limited failure points and unless shaft break, bearings sieze or temperatures are high (above 175degF) they usually endure anything.
A broken wire will not stop the motor from operating, you’d only loose control of step direction.

Another thing to check, was the bit fully locked into its collett, it could slide upwards during a plunge for instance.

Just throwing out cents here :wink:

2 Likes

The bit is secure in three collet… I will check the wiring… Thanks

Ok so, here are a couple of pics… 1. Of the design and 2. Where it cut.

Shouldn’t the cut follow the same on the design?

The cut will follow the design but it depends on where you set your home position. Where did the router stop when the carve was complete?

Back to the bottom left corner aka zero

Does it go to the very corner like in the picture?

Ok, so through my frustration and not seeing what I thought I did… Here are a couple of more pics… I just starting doing this piece and stopped it because of how off centered it was… Pic 1. Design …Pic 2. Work piece… Pic 3… Where the bit stopped (I marked it with a sharpie)

A couple of pics got put together… If needed, I can add 1 at a time

Put the corner of the wood over the Sharpie mark and you will be center.

Roger that… Thank you

1 Like

You’re welcome…Good Luck
Russell

The Easel design window X0 Y0 is where you need to have the left corner of the stock - and confirm that as Home position

Home position can be anywhere within the specific range of your machine, but Home position must be where the design X0 Y0 is at.