Chain instead of belts?

IMHO, chain has the same issue that belts and gears have. Wear. If sprockets wear, then that will introduce errors in the carve. I think, but then again, I could be wrong.

Thoughts are good. They lead to innovation and improvement! Or disaster and destruction. As you can see, I am somewhat confused today.

1 Like

Rack and pinion is a better solution

1 Like

I have not see anyone use chain. Usually they upgrade from belt to rack and pinion. I think because it has the same advantage of chain but is easier to implement?
I have been looking at upgrading to a longer Y axis and I have seen it suggested that the rack and pinion setup needs more power to drive properly requiring a upgraded controller that supports higher current, like the x-controller or a gecko.

https://www.gryphoncnc.com/machine-and-electronics/

My home-built CNC (may it rest in peace) used threaded rods for all 3 axis. It worked pretty well.

If I was going to do it again I’d likely either use threaded rods or rack and pinion.

Don’t overlook chain’s need for lubrication.

1 Like

Plastic Chains??:wink:

Just an FYI, I’ve seen posts on this forum of that guy scamming people big time (I don’t have any personal experience with him, however).

I saw the same thing. I just provided the link because of the discussion of gears vice belts.

Really too bad, too. It’d be a nice drop-in upgrade.

Yep, lots of products on the internet like that, sadly.

We have a chain operated pick and drop machine at work.
The problems we have with it include chain stretch and sprocket wear. Lubrication is a mess. And the thing clanks and rattles like you wouldn’t believe.
I can also see chips getting stuck in the chain and sprockets.
We also have one that runs with a combination of rack and pinion and ball screw. Much smoother, reliable and much less mess. 6 years running 16 hours a day and never a breakdown or miss-set load.

2 Likes

The lubrication / dust-and-chips combo seems like it’d be an utter killer for a router system using chains. Bad enough with unlubricated belts that DON’T attract dust like magnets!

1 Like

These guys use chain drives in their homemade line of CNC’s… https://www.buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx/

As with what others have said the chain would require more continued maintenance and the introduction of dust would really gum up the lubrication. Here are some good guides i found helpful on the differences of the chain, belt and ball screw drives.

I have seen some openbuild projects where i really liked how they positioned the rails that located the carriage assembly and wheels away from the cutting bed, thus reducing some of the dust accumulation.

Ask a chainsaw guy what happens to chains and sprockets. It would take a lot longer with the less strenuous use of a cnc router, but the chain will stretch and the sprocket will wear.

Midway through a larger, 5 ft X 5.5 ft project, I have concluded that rack and pinion with a timing belt reduction may be the way to go. If it were smaller, I think ball screws or acme wiith some kind of anti-backlash strategy could work out well. (I’ll be running 1200 oz nema 34 motors and a 3.5 horse router.) Belts seem appropriate for light duty, low stress stuff.

1 Like

I have the chain and drive sprockets for converting the XCarve. I have been working with Richard Moller at Shade Tree CNC over Facebook we worked out the last bit of sprockets and spacers I just have to get the cash to buy em. He has successfully ran his home built unit off Chains for a while no stretching or wear.

I own 2 Gryphon CNC’s and the machines perform extremely well with the rack and pinion. I would be happy to answer questions if needed.