Change step over

Maybe it is the angle of that picture, but it sure looks like the tip is broken in that picture.

1 Like

Here is the picture of the bit from the website above. I think it looks the same.

I think we can agree this is not the right bit for the etching acrylic.

1 Like

I’d try something like this:

www.amazon.com/SkyQ-Cutting-Density-Acrylic-Plastic/dp/B00XTWOF52/

You want and endmill that looks like this

1 Like

I think I will give these a shot -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151926815022

excellent choices

1 Like

While I agree that downcut bits are best for nice smooth bottom pockets, I don’t think I’d want to use a downcut bit to pocket acrylic. I think you want the upcut bit to cut and remove the plastic as fast as possible to avoid heat. I see one of those links says it for plastic though, so I don’t know. I’m no expert though, but just a thought.

I zoomed both pics, new versus the one in his pic, and the tip is definitely g

one from his. Should be able to measure bit length.

1 Like

I am using a 1/16th 2 flute downcut endmill and getting a lot of crud ground into my spoilboard. Would changing the step over help with this?
Thanks

@TysonSwan , Your pix look like heat build up to me not like scratches from a tool.
Have never cut plastic (yet) with my cnc but have cut a lot of it on my milling machine, and on my mortiser as well as with all kinds of other tools. I would suggest lighter cut depths, and a higher feed speed & try adjusting the spindle speed to see if that helps. Have only ever used upcut bits on plastic and am used to the hot swarf sticking to the upper edge of the cut which is easily removed with a de burring tool.