Changing bits, keeping home position

Yes, I re-zero the detail carve bit at the same position I set the rough carve bit. Here is a short video I made just for you.

1 Like

Thanks, I just want to make sure. We keep brain storming.

Well my brain has about ran out of storm. I am at a total loss as to what to do now. Sent this video to inventables, maybe???

I’m not Easel user, never been from beginning. I’m just guessing, maybe better idea to send this video to them, and do single pass until problem solved. It’s got to be something wrong with Easel. I don’t know how Easel keeping depth in same level between rough and detail cut. Looks like changing dept when you stop for bit change. This future is fairly new to Easel. Just contact help line.

James,

I have made a video showing how I use the Rough/Detail cutting option in Easel. The video is not the best since I was just holding my phone to make it, but hopefully you will be able to follow along and see if there is something you are doing differently.

2 Likes

Allen, you are doing the exact same thing as I except for the speed and depth of cut. Also the part where my machine does the deeper carving around the edges. So… I have sent a copy of my last video to inventables and maybe they will tell me something in a day or so. Watching your video is like watching my machine at work. Sorry, I had confused you and Alan Davis before. Look at my video above.

You may want to follow this link, while you’re waiting support response.

Well James, There are really only two reasons for the detail bit to be cutting to deeply.

1. The Z zero for the bit is not set correctly - Since you are certain that you are setting this correctly we can rule out the possibility. You are certain right? The reason I keep asking is that this is the way more likely reason for the problem you are seeing.

2. There is a hardware cause. The way I see it there are three hardware problems that could potentially cause the problem:

a) The Z axis is losing steps - I think this is unlikely since the rough cut seems to be working fine and other cuts you are making seem fine.

b) the bit is slipping in the collet - Are you using a 1/8 inch adapter or did you purchase a 1/8 collet for the Dewalt 611? If you are using an adapter then there is pretty good possibility the bit may be slipping. This can be caused by a bad adapter or the 1/4 inch collet is not closing tightly enough on the adapter.

c) the entire spindle assembly is lose and dropping down - Again this seem unlikely since other cuts are working correctly.

So as I see it, that only leaves possibility b. Let me know how you are securing the bit for the detail cut.

As an experiment you can try using the same 1/4 inch bit for both the rough and detail cut. Of course it will not be able to get into all the small places but it will allow you to see if the detail pass is cutting lower than the roughing pass when using the same bit. Plus you know nothing will move after the rough cut since you will not need to change bits.

Try that and let me know the results.

1 Like

Allen, as to ‘b’, I have a 1/8" collet that I ordered for the 611 and no the bit is not loose in the collet as I torque it down pretty tight. Also I have already tried the dual carve with the same 1/8" bit for both carves, same result. I am waiting for inventables to see if they come up with any thing. As far as the other ideas, if these were in play I don’t think my other ‘single’ carvings would be coming out so well.

James, you said your feedrate and depth of cut were different than what I used. It probably does not make a difference but what feedrate and depth of cut are you using when you try to do the rough/detail carve?

@JamesMitchell I agree with @AllenMassey

Try running the same job the same way. Set it up like you will be cutting with a 1/4in and then a 1/8in bit. Then run both passes, but don’t change out the bit, just leave the 1/4in bit in and see if the Z is the same level. (yes the details won’t be there, but you will be able to rule out a few variables that Allen is trying to see)

If there is a problem with your 1/8in adapter, then it does’t matter how tight you tongue it down.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, feed rate of 60 ipm and depth of .050 in per cut.

ok will try tomorrow.

Well, here is the results from sketch42 recomendation. Now what??

2 Likes

OK James,

That was a good test, What we learned is that:

1. As we thought your machine is working well.
  2. The possible problems are really narrowed down now to the two I told you about in the earlier post.

Possible Problem 1:

The 1/8 detail bit is not being zeroed correctly. I know you are certain you zeroed correctly so for now lets remove this as a potential source of the problem.

Possible Problem 2:

The bit is slipping in the collet

Based on the videos you show and the tests you have done, these are really the only two possible causes of the error you are seeing.

If we eliminate problem 1 then that only leaves problem 2. So the 1/8 inch bit is slipping when you cut.
Since you purchased a good 1/8 inch collet I don’t think the problem is with the collet (we can test that later). So that only leaves the 1/8 inch bit itself as the source of the problem.

The only way the bit can cause the problem is if the shank diameter is less that .125 inches. If you have a micrometer measure the diameter of the shank of that bit and see what the actual diameter really is. Maybe you somehow got a bit with a 3mm shank.

So that is where we are at, either the bit is the problem or the collet you purchased is defective or you are not zeroing the 1/8 inch bit correctly.

We can test the collet by using a different 1/8 inch bit and see if you still have the problem, If all your 1/8 bits are slipping then it must be the collet. If the other bits do not slip then we are back to the first bit being an odd size or the zero is not set.

If you are absolutely sure about zeroing .125 bit on same spot, maybe you’re using your Dust shoe on rough cut, not using on detail cut. Your dust shoe might force your Dewalt a little up. To complete this troubleshooting, you have to make video from start and details, not explanations. If we can see steps you’re taking it will be lot more helpful. Simply, show your preparation on the screen, how do you zero on the work surface, how do you rough cut, go back to Easel and show how do you prepare detail cut, change your bit and zero it than we can see clearly and start carving detail.
Might be two or three stage of videos.
In same time, your detail cut edges are not straight as well. I’m sure your machine not tuned as described earlier. While you’re doing all these, I will carve same letter T on two stage cut and show how razor blade cut looking on the edges.
It’s up to you.

1 Like

Here is the result of Two stage cutting. Rough cut w/ 0.25 Two flute spiral. Detail cut w/ 0.125 two flute spiral. Wood Sandy Plywood.

2 Likes

This is the location I’m zeroing both bits.

Ok fella’s, you’ve asked for it here it is. From start to finish how I set up my x-carve for dual carve procedure. I’ll save you the suspense, it worked flawlessly this time. I don’t know if Inventables found something in their software or what but this is the very first time it has worked for me as I have documented many times. Even pre dust shoe and post dust shoe, it has always cut this .025 app. ridge around the outside of the square and around all text. I have used the same collet’s (1/4" and 1/8") size and I have always torqued down my bits so they couldn’t slip. As I said this is a first and I don’t know what I did any different than I have always done except video the whole process. I have decieded to video it all and not edit anything out so you can see the full process. I guess my next step is to put the dust shoe back on and see what happens?

2 Likes

Is your ‘zero set’ run through easel?