Chilipeppr and large G-Code files

So upping the Java allocated memory to 3GB didn’t work…the carve still “froze” around the 60% mark. I was able to download the UGS nightly build, but I didn’t get a chance to run the carve again since it was late at night, and it takes about 4 hours to cut out. I’ll run it up again today after work.

I was able to complete the project on the first try with the nightly build! I’m hoping it’s the solution to my problem. It’s very frustrating getting 2-3 hours into a project, only to have it freeze on ya, then having to start back over.

1 Like

Hi @Tarry_Brindle, did you find a resolution for this? I have the same intermittent issue where UGS will choke on large projects and start going 1/50th of the normal speed.

@KeithGrunow I started using the nightly build of UGS, and haven’t had a problem since. The link for it is 8 posts up. Hopefully it works for you!

Thanks @Tarry_Brindle, I see it is now build 369, I will give it a try.

1 Like

Looks more like 372. :wink:

@KeithGrunow If that doesn’t help ya, try increasing your Java allocated memory. Shane Bell posted about it towards the beginning of this thread. Here’s the link:
How to Increase Java Memory in Windows 7: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

Thanks @Tarry_Brindle I will try that next. I have tons of memory to allocate but thought I would try one thing at a time in order to see what fixed it. Will keep the group posted.

1 Like

@KeithGrunow Were you able to make any headway with UGS?

Hi @Tarry_Brindle, yes I went to build 369 and so far so good. I haven’t tried any super big g-code files yet but will be soon.

1 Like

John, I have watched your video called Chilipeppr Intro several times. I am new to the maker community and learning everyday. I built my machine from scratch not a kit, I started out running it with Easel and found Chilipeppr much nicer. I am however, having the file to large challenge also. I was wondering if you have come up with any suggestions for us?

Out of curiosity does Easel accept the file size?

I was able to load my large files in Easel, but I have since moved to Mach3.

Oh I meant @CristopherColeman

Easel isn’t really trying to compete with Mach3.

1 Like

Well, ChiliPeppr creates a 3D line for each line of your Gcode, thus that’s what chews up the memory. So it’s just bounded by memory, which means different folks who have more memory can load larger files. One thought is to simply not render the whole document, just let the user pick a percentage of the file to render. Another idea is to only render every other line, but that would make the output look really weird in the 3D viewer.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnLauer

Yes Easel will accept it but I am frustrated with easel because I am having an issue with the raise the bit command. When I click raise the bit it raises it too high then when it goes to the start position to start cutting it does nos make contact with the work surface and cuts thin air. I have tried all I know how to do and that is how I found Chilipeppr. I make sure everything is zeroed out before I hit carve x,y, and z, even verify it by going into machine inspector. Table surface is level and perpendicular. I also make sure the work and the machine are at zero.

I have 16 gig of available memory, I built my comp that way for things like this so I wouldn’t have this problem., from what I am understanding it is the browser memory that is the limiting factor. I tried to increase the available memory allocated to the browser but I am not a guru…using Chrome and windows 10

It sounds like you have two headers. You’re raising the bit in the gcode file and then again in Easel.

Can you share the first few lines of gcode before your file starts?

I am not at home, or near my machine right now, that does make sense though. How would I check for that?