Chilipeppr - X-carve

Ok. I keep reading about json (I don’t know a jason), something about a gcode, someone said something about eating some raspberries (I don’t like raspberries). Anyway, I have an X-carve 1000mm and a MAC. I can’t do it in EASEL easily because I have tool changes. (I may be wrong on that) Chilipeppr says I need a seriel port? I have no idea about what is going on here. Can someone please explain this in English? EASEL connects and does fine, even when set to auto start during the configuration, but when it starts running the spindle doesn’t come on (that’s a separate topic though)

Scott

I can’t help with the programming side, but you can change between bits in Easel. Just search the forums for “detail bit” until you find a thread with a million people asking if they can have access to the beta testing feature, and you can ask for access. :smile:

As for the spindle not starting, what spindle are you using? Is it the old standard 24V spindle, or a hand router? If it’s a hand router, I can tell you from experience (a wasted weekend of unnecessary rewiring on my CNC cart) that they typically have on/off switches.

You know, I don’t want to sound like an *ss, but all of the responses to all of the questions about how to do this by other folks include all of these anagrams. Don’t know what an SPJS is. If I did know what is was I wouldn’t know what to do with it.

So, I downloaded the SPJS (still not sure what it is), now I need an application to run it. Just a failed to connect, as always
These files are .exec files for Windows. As I said, I have a mac

I hear ya, I get lost with all the anagrams too. That’s why I stick to the mechanical side, where I get to use universal anagrams like SNAFU and MF… :smile:

Serial Port Json Server. Please try to be nice. A huge part of owning a “maker” style CNC machine is learning. A 5 minute google search resulted in the correct SPJS file for you with a Mac. This should work:

serial-port-json-server_macosx_v1.80.zip (1.8 MB)

OK. So, now I’ve followed some instructions I found after DIGGING around GitHub - johnlauer/serial-port-json-server: A serial port JSON websocket server for Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, or BeagleBone Black that lets you communicate with your serial port from a web application. This enables web apps to be written that can communicate with your local serial device such as an Arduino, CNC controller, or any device that communicates over the serial port. . Did that. I now have 5 copies of this. What do I do with it?

I would suggest looking at the file I uploaded. After reading the “Read Me” file in the zip, it seems like you will need to run it through the command line.

I can give it a shot when I get home tonight, but my work computer is Windows…

I’ve done the command line stuff. There is no readme file in there I can find. Now it still won’t do anything

I found the readme. Been reading it since I started this thread. reads like GREEK

Did you download the file I attached? Unless I’m crazy, there’s a Read Me file in it. I’ve got it open now.

I’ve followed all the directions on “How to Build”. I does nothing.

Scotts-MacBook-Pro:~ scottfinchum1$ cd /Users/scottfinchum1/go/src/github.com/johnlauer/serial-port-json-server
Scotts-MacBook-Pro:serial-port-json-server scottfinchum1$ go build
Scotts-MacBook-Pro:serial-port-json-server scottfinchum1$ ./serial-port-json-server
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:89: Version:1.86
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:96: Hostname: Scotts-MacBook-Pro.local
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:102: Garbage collection is on using Standard mode, meaning we just let Golang determine when to garbage collect.
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:115: Starting server and websocket on 192.168.1.54:8989
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:118: The Serial Port JSON Server is now running.
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:119: If you are using ChiliPeppr, you may go back to it and connect to this server.
2015/11/11 15:10:00 main.go:129: You can enter verbose mode to see all logging by starting with the -v command line switch.
2015/11/11 15:10:01 main.go:144: Your serial ports:
2015/11/11 15:10:01 main.go:151: {/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port [] }
2015/11/11 15:10:01 main.go:151: {/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem cu.Bluetooth-Modem [] }
2015/11/11 15:10:01 main.go:151: {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port [] }
2015/11/11 15:10:01 main.go:151: {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem tty.Bluetooth-Modem [] }

I copied the URL directly from the CP page. I looks like the OS X installer link is pointing to the Windows installer.

SPJS is running but it does not see the controller.

Is Arduino powered up? (The controller for the XC). In the list you pasted above you should see the XC controller listed.
Once it does go back to the CP page and click connect.

I copied the URL directly from the CP page. I looks like the OS X installer link is pointing to the Windows installer.
Not sure about that. I followed mac info under How to Build

SPJS is running but it does not see the controller.

OK

Is Arduino powered up? (The controller for the XC).
Yes
In the list you pasted above you should see the XC controller listed.
Not there. Not sure how to get it there. went back and redid everything again to no avail
Once it does go back to the CP page and click connect.
Did that. No joy.

Got something. Had Bluetooth selected. Now USB (DUH!!!).

Still not sure how to start this carving though. Going to try

OK. Successful carve. Finally. Question now. Do I have to keep terminal open or is it ok to close? I hate to have to enter all that again.

Thanks for the help
Scott
(frustration-abated)

There should be no problem in closing the terminal.
I am running Chillipeppr on a Mac (and I remember the frustrations of getting it up and running).

Now to get started I just double click the serial-port-son-server app and then open CP.
Check to see that the serial port json server is running (right hand side of the screen about half way down)

Plug in the XC usb cable and then the port should show in the port list, tick it then switch the XC on and you are good to go.

It works. Thanks for your help

Scott

So glad you got this worked out Scott!