CNCJS Thoughts?

I have been using a raspberry pi 3 to control my X-carve for over a year now and I could not be happier. I have used CNCJS, Bcnc, Chillipeppr, UGS platform, UGS and most importantly Easel local. I use a wireless keypad like this one
which allows me to stand over the work piece when I need to and jog the machine while I stand over it (very easy compared to doing it from a distance). again best controller decision I made.

the only thing I can warn you about with CNCJS is that it is browser based and most browsers have a file size limit that will prevent some large file from loading. when this happens you can just use Universal G-Code Sender which will not have the browser limitation as it is not browser based.
If you need any help use the search function as there are many post on this subject and if no answer then just ask as there are also several users that also use this platform that are always willing to help.

Also wanted to mention that with Easel local running on my Raspberry Pi 3 I can also use my Linux system from the local network to control the X-Carve as if it was connected to my machine by using a command from the command line as outline in this link GitHub - samyk/easel-driver: Easel driver for Linux, Mac, Windows, ARM, Raspberry Pi, Intel, FTDI, CH340, CH341, CP210x, FTDI clones, local, and remote access to GRBL-based CNC controllers from this post Easel Local for Linux? - #17 by SamyKamkar which I very rarely use but it is really cool to have that option.

Thank you Kenneth. Can you elaborate on easel local?

Also… cncJS Do you have any CONs on why not to use it?

not really as long as you don’t need to send a file larger than what the browser can upload, most browsers that I know of have a file size limit on what you can upload through the browser (security precaution) and I have only had that happen when I was using a laser G-code file that was around or a little over 1 million lines of code. all of these programs are fine programs that have been listed and all have there positive and negative attributes. you just need to try them and see which one suits what you need best. as I stated I usally use Easel Local with Easel and UGS when I do laser but I have also used Bcnc when I needed auto-level and I am not to proud to try or use any of them.

If you read the post on Easel Local for Linux? - #17 by SamyKamkar and specifically the part that references GitHub - samyk/easel-driver: Easel driver for Linux, Mac, Windows, ARM, Raspberry Pi, Intel, FTDI, CH340, CH341, CP210x, FTDI clones, local, and remote access to GRBL-based CNC controllers you will see that you can take the Easel Local for MAC and install on the raspberry pi and run it as a service. when you do that you can also connect across a local network as if the X-Carve is plugged into that remote machine and control and send g-code from there. I have been very happy with this arrangement.

1 Like

I can also take some pictures tonight when I get off work and post them so that you can see the Raspberry Pi connected and working the X-Carve if you like.

1 Like

I need to post an updated video, but take a look at these:

I run my CNC with a Raspberry Pi connected to it. then go inside to spend time with family while I monitor things remotely.

2 Likes

Hey @AustinSt.Aubin
Quick question, how are you running/powering your camera? I’m assuming it’s the same as what is in your laser video. I hooked one up to my pi and started getting all sorts of timeout and crashing issues and finally figured it was a power thing.
Do you have your led turned off on the camera?

1 Like

This is a very neat setup.what camera are you using in the raspi?

Also… how are ou liking your laser?

I’m using wireless numeric keyboard to control

@KikoLobo @PatrickLesher
I am using this camera plugged into my raspberry pi, then using mjpeg-streamer to stream the video feed.
I am powering my raspberry pi with a 5v 3A switched voltage regulator that is stepping down power from the 24v power supply in the X-Controller.

The camera light is set to dim or off most of the time… but I have no issues powering anything on the pi or other wise.

Side note: my laser is powered with 12v 300w XBox power supply… it works well for 12v things, like accessories.
I also use a Playstation 3 Controller to move and control my gantry.

2 Likes

that would limit what commands I could type in UGS. I don’t see an M key or an S key so I would not be able to vary the intensity of the laser to align or focus. If all you wanted to do was jog the machine then this would work fine but it is the same price as the full keyboards that are no bigger. And with the Raspberry Pi you need some type of keyboard anyway might as well use the same one all the time.

Hey @AustinSt.Aubin,
Thanks for the information! How do you get your light to dim down? I have a similar camera but never could find a way to get it to dim.

@PatrickLesher The light push button on the usb connection of the borescape camera I have allows me to toggle though different light values. It remembers the setting durring power cycles.
DANIU A99 720P 2MP 6LED 8.0mm Lens Waterproof Android/PC Endoscope Inspection Borescope Tube Camera

I’m new here and just finished building an OpenBuilds MiniMill. I started out using GRBL panel from a Windows PC and had no problems. I then tried CNCjs from the same Windows PC and had no problems. My end goal was to migrate to a Raspberry Pi using CNCjs, but I have had no luck with getting it to startup after typing the command “cnc” at the command line prompt. I get no errors, but it just sits there doing nothing. I followed the github Raspberry Pi Setup Guide explicitly. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing the freeze up after typing “cnc” to start it?

P.S. I’m not a programmer, so I have to trust the Raspberry Pi Setup Guide is providing the correct commands and I do recognize the # in front of some lines meant they were comments.

Thanks,
Michael Dwyer

Make sure you are using the latest software from raspberry pi.

I had some issues with the serial port library dependency you need to install. There are several pathways in the wiki. I had to install the serial port library. Let me try to gather more information and post back to you.

Everything I used was supposed to be the latest, but I appreciate anything you can do to help me.

By some strange luck, I think I figured it out. Although I installed everything from a CLI, I switched to the GUI, typed http://:8888/ in chromium and was able to start CNCjs and make a connection to my controller board. I shut it down and returned to the CLI to stop PM2 and reset it to start on port 8888 (port 8000 was not working for me). I also reset the iptables to redirect port 80 to port 8888. I rebooted my pi and went directly to chromium and typed http://:8888/ again. I was able to start CNCjs and open a connection to my controller without any problems.

1 Like

This is great news… I am extraemos happy with cncjs… to me it is better than chillipepr… except that it does not yet have auto level for PCBs