Coin rings on the xcarve

This was a test to see what the effects of cutting into a coin will have in my coin ring making. I have many ideas for personalizing coin rings with the use of the xcarve. On the bright side material is cheap so if i mess up i am only out 25 cents lol. and sorry for the rambling on was up almost 24 hours and 12 of it was at work just a little tired.

CORRECTION THE BIT WAS 30 DEG
IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE VIEWING THIS VIDEO CHECK BACK LATER IT HAD TO BE EDITED

2 Likes

That is very impressive, What bit would you use next time? What feedrate would you use next time?

Thank you! I have some 10 degree I would like to try but they are very thin and prone to breakage easily. So I will Start off with a feed rate between 5-10 ipm. I used the 30 degree because they handle side load really well at high feed rates.

Pretty, but legal?

Yes it is legal.
Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who 'fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent. (Source U.S. Mint)
They don’t like it but it is legal.

1 Like

In other words as long as you are not trying to make a dime appear to be a quarter, or a 10.00 appear to be a 100.00 , no harm no foul.

There are people that will modify a coin to make it look like a rare coin.that is what the law is mostly pertaining to.
The key word is fraudulently.