Collet adapters exploding/can't carve through material

First post here! I’ve been looking around the forum and have found some good advice on why my collet adapters keep blowing up; however, I can’t seem to figure out why I can’t cut clean through birch plywood without the adapter exploding on me.

I am using all the default settings for speed, etc., and have made sure to confirm all the details are correct (material, thickness, bit type) but the bit keeps driving straight into the X-Carve base board before the bit gets caught and pops out.

I’m working on basic carves right now like ornaments and coasters. The smaller bits for detail I’ve figured out ok, it’s the 1/8" straight cut I’ve been using to cut out that stops me from completing a carve.

Frankly, I advise you to avoid collet adapters and get a series of sized collets. I have both the 1/8th and 1/4. I’ve been thinking about also getting the 6mm.

1 Like

If the bit is popping out then either you’re using the wrong size collet or you’re not tightening the router nut correctly.
Are you holding the yellow tab on the router while you tighten the nut with the wrench?
Russell